Should I do a trade-in for the new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tsukino, Aug 19, 2009.

1. tsukino macrumors newbie

I currently own a macbook pro, as below
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Should I trade-in for a new model, with better graphic card? I don't really like the integrated battery, but the newer model is really tempting. I often leave my MBP running for 24Hrs, will the newer model be able to take the heat? will it affect the battery shelf-life?

Thinking of getting the 13-inch: 2.26GHz. Please advise, your help is greatly appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll certainly see a boost in speed, thanks to the DDR3 memory, faster FSB and quite possibly the GPU, even if its integrated. I'm not really sure about that. In otherwords I don't know how the 9400 integrated GPU stacks up against the 8600 discrete GPU.

All in all, if you're pretty happy with the laptop you have now, you may want to wait till next year when apple should hopefully release a arrandale/clarksfield based MBP. It all depends on when intel releases the mobile versions of the Nehalem processor. They are scheduled to be released late 09 early 10. No idea when apple will get around to using them, but its something to consider when you're getting ready to plunk down some $$ on a new computer.

3. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Faster FSB, DDR3 vs. DDR2 RAM, 8600M GT (with known issues) is a lower clock than 9600M GT, uMBP has much better battery life, the list is endless.

4. tsukino thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. If the new model is using DDR3 and currently the model I'm using is DDR2. Is the RAM the same? Can I take the 4G RAM from my old and put in the new model?

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

What's wrong with your current MBP that you need a new one?

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I posted a similar thread recently, read the responses (if you are considering going from a 15" to a 15"): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=766340

If you are going from a 15" with discrete video to a 13" with onboard video.... I say no. No way. I would (personally) NEVER trade my early 2008 (classic design) Macbook Pro for a 13" unibody. Not in a million years.

Oh god, don't do it.

7. tsukino thread starter macrumors newbie

The most attractive points is changing from a 15inch to 13inch, as it is heavy for me to carry the MBP ard work and school. The graphic card and the battery life.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

To quote from a previous thread: "The old MacBook Pro has a 8600M GT and the new MacBook has a 9400M GPU.

The 8600M GT is faster than a 9400M and has dedicated VRAM. Quite simply the 8600M GT in the old MacBook Pro destroys the 9400M regarding GPU performance. If GPU performance is the deciding factor, I would go with the previous MacBook Pro.
    "

9. BigladUK macrumors member

I've just moved from exactly the same machine you have to exactly the same machine your looking at.

I don't know what it is you do but performance for regular tasks if no different.

I've re-encoded some files to be DVD's and they look the same time as they would have taken on my old MBP. I only have the standard 2GB of ram at the moment so maybe after an upgrade I'll see a performance increase but at the moment I'd say it was either the same or maybe slightly faster.

All thats not supposed to sound negative as I though the performance of my old MBP was brilliant so to be the same or slightly better ticks my boxes.

As for the 15" to 13" I'm coping just fine.

The big plus for me ( and looks like you ) is battery life, I was lucky to see 2 hours on my old MBP but this 13" bad boy seems go for much longer. I haven't got any specific times but I'd say you'd get 5 hours plus

Lastly the cost, I sold my old MBP that was 2 years old and well used for £550 and my new MBP 13" cost me £800.....So £250 to change represents excellent value :)

Good luck

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think that's a good enough reason to upgrade now. If your current computer is fully functional it sounds like you're just looking for a reason to get something new. Don't you have better things to spend your money on?

You're just gonna want another upgrade when the MBP is revised again anyway so why not wait until your current computer dies?

11. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Having had the 13"MBP and now the 15" MBP the battery seems sooo much longer then on the 13" same settings?

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

How are you planning to "trade in"? Apple stores do not do trade-ins.

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Normally, I tend to agree with comments like this but for a student looking at mobility the 13" is the only way to go IMO. Plus the extra battery life. Can you live with a 15" macbook for stuff like this? Sure, but if you don't have to...

But you're right - it sure seems like some folks go through macs like they were shoes or something.

14. tsukino thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your comments.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067&page=75 - "So are all mbp owners with the 8600m GT cards screwed?!? "

Is it true?? I was thought the newer model would be lighter and perform faster. Well, it's still a tough choice, there is not much performance difference but the battery life is good.

15. yargk macrumors member

The rest of the performance is better, but you have to understand something about graphics. There is a mountain of difference between "discreet" graphics and "integrated" graphics. Think of discreet as a cheetah and integrated as a tortoise. A fast tortoise (new 13 inch integrated graphics) is still nothing compared to a slow cheetah (old 15 inch discreet graphics). You have to get a 15 inch to have the option of discreet graphics.