Should I do anything before installing Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by m i k e, Oct 31, 2007.

1. m i k e macrumors member

I am about to install Leopard and I would like to know if I should do anything before installing (ie. update any software, etc.)?

Also, I'd like to just update and let the the installation move all my files around. Have people had problems with that? Were all of your files, emails, and settings retained?

Is it better to do an erase and install?

Thanks.

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Backup your hard drive, and make sure you don't have APE installed.

The Update worked great for me BTW on 2 Macs.

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I would advice you to backup your entire drive with superduper.
    If you are doing an upgrade then update all your software and make sure you don't have any app enhancers installed.

I did an erase and install but it is not necessary.

4. pocketrockets macrumors member

I'll tell you my experience, and what I've told others:

I did an upgrade on my Powerbook (with all sorts of junk on it) and at first, the first hour after installation was completely awful. Everything was slow, buttons werent working, and icons were missing. After I restarted about 8 times, everything showed up like it did in Tiger. Thank god....

This has been the story of my experience with Leopard. Everything is funky and buggy at first. But after opening applications for the first time and tweaking settings, things have been starting to lock in.

As far as applications and documents go, everything will still be there. It's the minor things in the OS (menu bars, icons, etc) that might have bugs that will be ironed out after the first few restarts. Anyways good luck!

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

6. m i k e thread starter macrumors member

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of doing an erase and install. The only real thing I'm worried about is getting my Mail, iPhoto, and iTunes back to exactly how they were. Can you tell me what I need to do? Is it a hassle? Thanks for everyone's help.

Also, how long does this clone with with SuperDuper take (I've used 45 of 160GB)?

7. pocketrockets macrumors member

You will probably spend an equal amount of time and frustration re-installing programs and files that you had if you do a clean install (and remember you still have to back everything up), as you will ironing out the initial bugs if you do an upgrade. I decided to do the latter, knowing there was a lucky chance that I could avoid bugs altogether.

8. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

If you want to do a clean install. Go ahead. I did it effortlessly. Just backup your system with superduper. for 45 GB would probably take much less than an hour.

Then restart your computer and hold down the option key at startup and choose the external backup to make sure that it is bootable.

Then insert the Leopard dvd. Restart. This time holding down the C key. Choose a clean install. When Migration assistant comes up you can choose your whole home folder and documents folder. That should bring over all your music, photos, mail, bookmarks, preferences, basically everything.

Then install iLife from your disk that came with your computer. (using the install bundled software only option). and install any other apps.

I think you can bring over your apps with migration assistant also but not sure how that works because I didn't do it so I wont attest to it.

9. duyvan82 macrumors member

- back everything up
    - clean install
    - copy ~/library/mail then com.apple.mail.plist (found in ~/library/preferences/) from the backup drive onto your boot drive to get your mails back.
    - copy ~/music to get your itunes back.
    - copy ~/pictures
    - copy ~/movie
    - copy ~/documents

10. pocketrockets macrumors member

Don't do a clean install. It's too much work and takes too long. Whats the point of doing a clean install if you plan to dump your files back on to your computer anyway? Upgrading gets you from point A to B faster. duh.

11. m i k e thread starter macrumors member

That sounds great. Would you say the Migration Assistant is solid? Were all of your libraries formatted the same (ie. iPhoto keywords, iTunes playlists and ratings, etc.)? I apologize if I seem skeptical but I recently switched from Windows and all I can remember is the hassle of reformatting.

Besides iLife that I will need to install from my setup disk, is there any other software from Tiger that I will be missing in Leopoard?

Also when backing up does it make a difference whether I back to the installed hard drive or an external? My thinking is that an external may be less reliable. Right? Wrong?

12. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Cross your fingers. LOL Seriously, I had a blue screen during the restart after the Leopard install which would not go away. I ended up calling Apple Care. A clean install seemed to solve the problem.
    You just may want to keep the Apple Care number handy and make sure you have plenty of free time when doing your Leopard install.

13. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Use an external. You won't be able to use migration assistant if you back up to a partition on the internal. Migration assistant requires a bootable backup. Essentially it is to migrate files from one mac to another. So you have to have it bootable so it thinks it is connected to another mac.

If you copy your home folder all should be in place.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help because I know what it is like to be confused and nervous about it

14. m i k e thread starter macrumors member

I actually have not gotten around to installing Leopard yet. I think I'm going to do it tonight but I have a few questions more questions. The thing I don't like about Migration Assistant is that I can't select specific files that I want to move over. I want things like my iTunes library, iPhoto library, and Mail messages. However I just want to select some specific files and folders with school work. What I am planning on doing is using SuperDuper! to make a clone of my current HD (calls it startup drive as well), fresh install Leopard, use Migration Assistant for iTunes, iPhoto, and Mail, and then (once Leopard has fully booted) copy my files directly over from the cloned drive. Does that sound like it will work? Thanks.