Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mariahlullaby, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    I had been thinking about getting an iMac, but the PB is looking more and more enticing. A PB starts at $1399 with the EDU discount, which would help a lot. I spent like $1700/1800 on my laptop in October 04, so it is pretty new. I think I might sell it (it's in excellent condition and comes with $1500 or more too much to expect?) for a new PB when it comes out. I am just wondering if I am getting something less than what I have now; I know I am on a Mac site, etc. etc. but I have some concerns. I love my 15.4" widescreen and it is so clear and vibrant- the Mac notebooks I have seem to have a duller screen. I also have a Windows Mobile PDA (brand new) (though I think they can work together). I am also worried about the specs:

    For $1700-1800 on a PC, I got:
    -1 GB RAM
    -80 GB 5400 rpm HD
    -3 Ghz Pentium 4 processor
    -15.4" in WXGA Widescreen
    -DVD/CD-R drive
    -Integrated Wireless LAN

    For $1982 onn the PB Mac:
    -768 MB RAM
    -80 GB 5400 rpm HD
    -1.33 Ghz processor
    -15" in screen
    -Airport Extreme

    Is the 768 MB/1 GB a big difference? This price might change if some PB update comes out soon!
  2. motherfather macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2005
    Austin, TX
    The cardinal rule with computers is hold off on upgrading as long as you can stand.

    You'll be able to get much more for much less.

    The current powerbooks are overdue for a rumored upgrade and a G5 version is likely in the forseeable future.

    What don't you like about your current laptop, aside from the fact that it's not an Apple?
  3. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    Yeah, I hope the update is soon

    I like my laptop a lot, but PC viruses are out of control!! I have good protection, but I'm constantly updating, etc. I've never used a Mac (owned one that is; I've use one) but I am assuming it will be more powerful; plus I think the PB will be more portable as my computer is roughly 7-8 lbs.

    Should I not bother? I thought it would be worth it.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, I'd wait for the PB update. It's coming soon.

    And if the 768MB on the PB you listed was bought at the Apple Store, then buy it somewhere else, because Apple overcharges on RAM big-time. Just trying to help you lower the cost.

    And yeah, it's worth the switch. Your PB won't be as fast as a P4 3GHz with 1GB of RAM, but you'll be more productive. Also, I find myself to be quite worried when using my PC. Viruses and updates, and spyware software and ITS updates.....too many worries....too many hassles. Its like I'm panicky all the time, especially when I have to use a PC now that I'm a Mac user.
  5. motherfather macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Macs aren't as powerful as they are well designed and efficient.

    That's something that most consumers don't really get. That 3.0 Ghz processor can be less effective than a 1.5 Ghz if not utilized efficiently.

    With all apple computers though, buy the Ram seperately. You'll get if for about half as much as Apple is charging and it's not THAT difficult to install (and it won't void your warranty unless you break something, which is unlikely if you're careful).
  6. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    Cool, thanks!

    What do you mean by "more productive"? As in it's much easier to use?
    Also, I have never installed RAM let alone in a notebook...nor would I know what to buy to stick in it! Is it hard and how easy is it for me to kill my PB?

    I definitely agree about the virus thing. I have to scan everything, add updates 323242 times a day, scan my computer once a's a pain. My parents' got a ton of spyware on their computer and a virus- slowed the thing up really bad, had to clear everything and start fresh.

    Thanks! Also, do we think prices will be around the same for the PB update?
  7. motherfather macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I am still new to a lot of this myself, but from what I've read for the same price points you're going to get a faster processor and faster/larger hard drive.

    It is rumored that they have been trying to develop a G5 powerbook but have run into problems that they are trying to work out so this little speed-bump (if and/or when it happens) will help bridge the gap between updates apparently.

    As far as what kind of RAM to buy, there are a lot of threads about it.

    Installing RAM is notoriously easy on most desktop computers (pc's and macs alike) and apparently it is no different on the laptops. Sure you have to remove a few things, but there is little that can go wrong if you properly shield yourself from electrostatic charge (i.e. dont do the repair over carpet while wearing socks and petting a cat) and proceed carefully.

    If my 59 year old tech-phobic stepdad can upgrade his RAM, I think just about anyone can.
  8. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a


    Apr 24, 2004
    way out in the sticks
    You will find that doing neccessary tasks will be more fun and seem like less work than they do now. You will enjoy the feel of the mac; your desktop "work environment" will be conducive to being more productive.

    It will be as if you worked in an office before without any natural light, had drop ceilings, white cinder block walls, and now all of the sudden you are in an environment with sun coming through the windows, a nice hardwood floor, and the presence of plantlife, and fresh air.

    Some may criticize the above analogy, but for me the switch it opened up a whole new avenue in my brain, and I received new clarity. Your mind is not thinking about updating, downloading, restarting, tweaking, etc. (as much) It allows you to focus on your tasks and thus you enjoy the company you are given by your mac.
  9. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    They probably will lower the price on the current model. The price for the PB update will probably remain the same. We are lucky that the majority of the time Apple give us increased specifications at the same price.

    I'm surprised that if you just purchased the laptop in October '04, your already thinking about a replacement, it's just 3 mos. old. Why not at least wait a year or two. If you have the money just keep the laptop and get a G5 iMac.
  10. alywa macrumors 6502

    May 6, 2004
    RAM purchace, installation

    1. Wait a few weeks to see if there is a PB update. It's almost a definate at some point now.

    2. Buy RAM online from, or one of dozens of other vendors. Crucial's website makes figuring out which RAM to put in as simple as choosing your computer from a list. I agree that RAM is confusing, but their website makes it easy to know what to get (size, pins, speed, etc)

    3. has great tutorials on self-maintanence for all of their products. RAM installation is a piece of cake. Look at this link to see if you feel you'll be up to it:

    That's all there is to it. I've installed RAM in an iBook, an eMac, plus other old Dells and it was so simple I was embarassed that I had dreaded doing it before.

    Good luck, and be patient. The new PBs will come, and you'll be happy for waiting.

  11. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

    0s and 1s

    Mar 7, 2004
    OK, USA
    I always wonder whether people who claim to have spyware/virus issues know how to protect their computers in the first place. The necessity of anti-virus/internet security software is obviously vital, so how could it be that folks still have said issues? Simply use Windows updates and run live updates on your security software, and your computer should be in great condition.

    I've used PCs all my life and recently jumped to Mac 2 years ago. The thing that I love about Apple is that the OS is what Microsoft wanted to do with XP, but failed. Simply put, it's stable and very efficient. It is user friendly and gets the job done. The OS does not crash, I don't have driver/update issues, and no need for security software.

    So you ask if you should do it. The question should be: "Do I need to switch?" After that's answered, everything will be much easier.

Share This Page