Should I do this? (Sell my 15" rMBP for 13")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WilliamAFC1, Aug 27, 2014.

1. WilliamAFC1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am a freshman in University and I majored in communication arts. The thing is, I own a 2012 15" rMBP (256GB, 16GB, 2.3 Ghz) but it gets heavy after carrying it around the campus.

So I was thinking of doing this, sell the 15" rMBP and buy a fully packed 13" rMBP?

Would love to hear your opinions.

2. AnonDP macrumors member

I would flog the 15 if the real estate isnt needed, especially as you're carrying it to college etc. The 15 is a real lump.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It would be a massive downgrade, because:

1. You're moving from a significantly more powerful quad core processor to a dual core processor.

2. You're downgrading your GPU (from 1GB GT 650M to Iris 5100).

I carry my 15" rMBP every day around campus and it doesn't feel heavy.

If I were you, I'd work out at the gym and train up the muscles to carry the 15" rMBP.

I'd also buy a Transcend JetDrive upgrade for it.

4. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

I carry my 15" rMBP everyday and around campus. The weight difference is negligible between the two IMO. I would keep yours and change when it no longer meets your needs.

5. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

The weight difference isn't that much between the two, it's more about the footprint. If you want a more compact computer that takes up a little less space, the 13" rMBP is a fine choice but just make sure you're okay with the performance downgrade as others mentioned. I have a 15" rMBP that is my main computer and take around with me a few days a week, and personally would not trade it for a current top spec 13" rMBP.

6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Your eyes will thank you for keeping the 15" rMBP. Look at different backpacks if it's too heavy in your current backpack.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 15" rMBP is 1 pound heavier. Selling the 2012 rMBP you give up a dGPU, quad core processors, and a large screen.

I say keep the 15", the screen real estate is too much to give up for a pound

8. Wishbrah macrumors regular

1 pound heavier = 1 20oz bottle of water

Come on man.

9. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Anyone can carry 2 kg around. The 13" is just that bit more portable because it takes less space in your bag, takes less space on your desk and of course people are less inclined to look over your shoulder when you're taking notes in class (I dunno, I just like my privacy).

Yes you'll be sacrificing a lot of power, but do you really need that power to begin with? The dual core chips in the 13" are not crippled or unusable at any rate and don't nearly get the credit they deserve here at MR.

10. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike