Should I do this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xriderx11, Jan 5, 2013.

1. xriderx11 macrumors regular

Hi, I currently own a Macbook pro late 2011...

My specs are:

2.4 GHZ quad core I7

750gb Hard drive

8gb ram

6770M AMD 1gb grahics card

15"

The battery has 68 charging cycles (I think there might be something wrong with that since when I game on my laptop it will lose battery even when plugged in and will charge for some reason. I think I will bring it to the apple store if the charging problem continues. Also the battery sometimes has issues keeping a charge). If I get the apple replaced will it boost my chances of selling it?

___

I went on mac2sell.net and they said my macbook pro is worth $1,750

I went on the apple website over "refurbished macs" and I saw that the macbook pro retinas are finally on there and it is listed for $1,850... Should I upgrade it to the refurbished retina??? I LOVE how retina looks compared to my non-retina 1440x900 resolution....

Also will the Nvidia 650m with retina be good for gaming rather then a 6770m AMD with 1 gb with a non retina? Or will it be worse since there are more pixels and it will slow down the graphics a lot???

__

Also do you think I can get more than $1,750 for my macbook pro since it has 0 scratches or dings (It has been in a case since day 1 and has been moved around a little bit).

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I can't help you with price, but I can tell you the Nvidia GeForce 650M is a much better GPU than your current AMD one. However, as I've heard, half a gig VRAM for the Nvidia card is a joke, considering how good and powerful the GPU is itself. You should try to get it with a full gig (1GB) of VRAM.

3. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Plan on 75% to 80% of what Mac 2 Sell says. They are notoriously high on prices. Look at completed listings on eBay if you want a real evaluation, or hop on your local classifieds (craigslist?) and take 85% to 90% of what someone is listing something for.

The Nvidia Kepler line of cards including the 650M are incredibly powerful. Will be a huge boost.

The panel in the rMBP has 4x the pixel count of your current cMBP. The GPU however is not trying to run calcs on 4x the pixels for gaming due to scaling. Would be just fine playing games on it.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

How much of the hard drive are you using? The rMBPs on the refurb site have 256GB SSDs. While that's plenty for me, if you are used to larger hard drives it could be a bit tight. Consider the cost of an external drive in that case.

That said, I do like the Retina Display. Since not as much software has been rewritten for it as on iOS, it isn't quite the same "wow" factor, but you do clearly notice it when you use a non-Retina display afterward. Plus you do get the ability to scale to different resolutions when you need the extra space.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

+1. Just because a price evaluation website says a computer is worth xxx dollars, that doesn’t mean someone in real life is willing to pay that much. Auction sites give a better impression of what you’ll get for it, as those prices are what people are ACTUALLY paying.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Very True.. That computer (if not a Hi-Res Screen, add $75 if so) is $1699 thru Apple Canada Refurb.. Add 8GB RAM for $60 now as well.. Doubt a buyer would pay more than $1200-1300 accordingly, I wouldn't. :confused:

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/F...macbook-pro-24ghz-quad-core-intel-i7#overview

7. bkd0255 macrumors member

The power supply for the computer doesnt put out enough to charge the computer while playing games or anything graphic intensive. So since the charger isnt pulling enough the battery has to kick to to make up the difference. Dumb i know but i have the same model except 17' and expierence the same thing. There are forums on here about the problem. I think your just using that as an excuse to upgrade :p if only that worked on my wife. lol

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And there’s no way in the world that a second hand cMBP would be worth pretty much the same amount as a official refurb retina. I reckon 1200 to 1400 on eBay.

9. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

If you can get that much your an idiot not to sell IMHO:eek:
    But i somehow doubt you will get that for it