should i downgrade back to snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by colin warburton, Oct 28, 2011.

1. colin warburton macrumors newbie

hello all, i like lion, but i am not using the versions features, or launchpad, should i downgrade back to snowy? (snow leopard)

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

3. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Well, I see no reason to downgrade just because you don't use launchpad or versions. Or are you experiencing problems?

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Before feedback is given we need to have more specific information. It's important to know what computer you have, what you use it for, if you were using 10.6.x before etc.

As you may or may not know, if your Mac came with Lion you cannot install Snow Leopard, since that is one method Apple uses to force Lion on users. It's a practice I find offensive, yet it's no surprise since it's the Apple Way.

Offering flexibility to their customers is something they'd never consider. Apple is very good as a dictatorship. Their old CEO was certain he knew what was best, and built a following of yes men and women to back him.

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yes, please let us know why you think it's important for you to downgrade. It might help us figure out something if you are having an issue with Versions or Launchpad.

LOL. And yet, you own multiple Apple products and have over 1500 posts on MacRumors.

6. colin warburton thread starter macrumors newbie

hi again, i use lion on my mid 2010 15 inch Macbook pro and my 27 inch iMac (late 2009), it runs perfect on my iMac, but my macbook pro has had problems with lion, BSOD bug, freezing up sometimes, and all i use my macbook pro for is college work.

i have done a clean install with lion as directed by apple cause i took my macbook pro to apple a month ago and they said no problems just delete and re install

Macbook pro specs mid 2010 april

15 inch
    2.4Ghz intel core i5
    8GB RAM
    Intel ssd 80GB x-25M

or, should i just install Snow leopard on another partition? which i have tried before but transferred my stuff and it wouldnt boot so i deleted the sl partition.

7. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro 15" i5 and when I first installed Lion, it was on top of my SL install (as an upgrade) and after that I was experiencing plenty of slowdowns and glitches. But now that I made a clean install of Lion off a bootable DVD, it is much more smoother and faster. My only issue right now is the BSOD which I am still getting. Other than that, Lion is working fine.

You could try resetting the PRAM, repairing permissions (start in Safe Mode to do this), etc. It helps tune things up and make everything better.

8. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Well I might try that then. I did install Lion on top of SL and the boot time was horrible. several of my apps got glitches as well, namely Pixelmator, Lock Screen or Smultron. I reverted back to SL on a clean install and all is perfect again.

I'm kind of hesitating to do a clean install of Lion though, I simply don't use its features... and I still have this bad taste in mouth...

9. colin warburton thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont really use much of lions features i do enjoy the auto save though, (i should be using versions but i never see a time when i make that mistake in a document)

10. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Don't forget about the little things in Lion too when making this decision. I have Lion on my iMac and SL on my Macbook (too old to upgrade) and I catch myself frequently missing the little touches, like the 2 finger sliding back and forth between apps and closing programs without saving.

I probably like Lion more for the little changes than the bigger ones (such as Launchpad, Mission Control, etc..).

That being said, if you don't use notice those things going back to SL probably wouldn't hurt if it solves the BSOD and freezing problems.