Should I download clamx?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Constancex, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Constancex macrumors newbie

I'm never had a Mac before and want to know what can I do to ensure my Mac from not getting no spyware/malware etc.

Should I turn on my firewall? What else can I do go ensure safe browsing online?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you are a novice then I urge you to use OpenDNS (I urge ou to watch their instructional videos) and block known Trogan hosting sites. Plus if you are using Safari go in it's Preferences and turn off auto opening files.

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Yes, it's a very good idea to turn on your firewall.

Here is a link to the MacRumors guide to protecting your Mac from trojans and malware, I think it was written by GGJstudios:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ

It has a list of steps to follow for setting up your browser and other stuff, very helpful!

:)

4. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

I have had macs for 12 years, no firewall no nothing and no problems.

5. wordsworth macrumors regular

I would recommend it. I've used Macs since the 1990s and never previously bothered with anti-virus software. In the last year or so I decided it wouldn't do any harm to install ClamXav, based on user feedback here on MacRumors. It's a contribution to 'peace of mind', along with OSX's own safeguards, sensible Preference settings, maintaining a firewall etc, and staying alert for potential fraud, scams and the like.

Earlier this week I decided to run ClamXav to see if there was anything nasty lurking and I discovered I had a piece of junk e-mail that I hadn't trashed (or opened). ClamXav flagged it as an infected file. I suspect that it was aimed at Windows users, but I was delighted to see the results of ClamXav in action. (I don't run it all the time in the background but I do periodically inspect what's on my hard drive using it. Usually it comes up with a 'clean' result.)

I did try Sophos but after reading about it on this forum I uninstalled it.

For peace of mind ClamXav is a good tool to have at one's disposal, in my opinion.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Whilst AV apps are not really required ( I've used Macs for decades without one single infection) Clam AV is a good "safety net" It doesn't sit in memory and will not hog resources. Downloading and installing it is not a bad idea.