should i drain the battery before installing the new firmware update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by senorian, Sep 11, 2008.

1. senorian macrumors regular

Does this make a difference If I drain the battery before I update it tomorrow? I know supposedly the software is going to improve the battery life so would I be better off draining the battery or just update it w/out full drainage?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Take a break. You are overthinking it.

3. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Only if you haven't "cycled" the battery in a long while by letting it drain down to shut off and then recharge to full. Doing a reset might just be all that's needed to reset the battery "voltage clock" for any firmware changes. Most people won't even do that.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

:confused:
    The battery has absolutely nothing to do with the firmware...... and it should be cycled every month or two irrespective of whether you're upgrading the firmware or not!

5. Xtgirl macrumors regular

The last time I cycled my battery...I couldn't get it to come back...it wouldn't take a charge...just showed the battery screen with a charge symbol but never charged....very frustrating experience:(

6. senorian thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info guys. I just drained the battery two nights ago and really didn't want to drain it again.

7. FJR macrumors regular

JFC, really? This is a little too much, but I got a nice little chuckle.

8. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I think you should definitely drain it. There's no way the power you put into it will be compatible with the 2.1 firmware. It seems as if you'll need to charge it after 2.1 is loaded so that the firmware can convert this electricity into a more efficient form.

Just kidding

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Steve: They're called iElectrons and they're twice as thin and have even better battery life. You might be wondering how we did it... quite frankly so am I.

10. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Scenario: you are updating to 2.1 when all of a sudden your battery runs out of juice and the phone shuts off. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Your friend in the other room did not drain his battery down, and his update went smoothly. :):):):)

(once per month, you should drain your battery all the way down until it shuts off by itself, then charge it all the way up. This is proper maintenance for the battery as recommended by Apple's website. In a post a few weeks ago, I explained the chemistry of why you do this. If you really want to know, I can explain it again)

11. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If anything you should fully charge the iPhone before installing the update.

When you are installing the update and the phone reboots, it is not being charged for a little while. If your battery dies during this stage you will hose your phone and need to do a full restore.

12. sibruk macrumors 6502a

LOL

Just a quick question... Do you think I should put 186ml of milk on my cornflakes or 188ml of milk on my cornflakes?

Just press UPDATE like everyone else! :D

13. brian5 macrumors member

brian5

Actually, the correct answer is "NO, IT'S A LITHIUM BATTERY!!" Draining a lithium battery is bad for it...

14. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Glad that didn't happen to me. Twice my phone has lost it's charge completely (from being half charged) in a matter of 30 mins to 7 hours. Both times on complete standby (screen 'locked') with no music playing. It was very odd and once allowed me to sleep in almost past one of my tests that day.

15. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Wow...really...? o_0 :confused:

You're stupidity is probably why all of these manufacturers put warning labels on their products:

http://www.rinkworks.com/said/warnings.shtml

16. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

I would say NO! If you insist on cycling, do it before the update or afterwards, BUT ensure you have well over 50% of charge while doing update.

Calibration of battery can be done any time FYI, and has nothing to do with firmware update.

17. blisters macrumors member

YES!!!

And make sure you put the phone in airplane mode before you update. That way it won't get interrupted by phone calls.

18. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

You don't have to drain the battery but make sure you take it out of its case (unless the case is red leather or blue silicone).