Should I drive to Canada to buy my iPhone White?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acarney, Jul 22, 2010.

1. acarney macrumors 6502

So I'm still kicking around the idea of getting a White iPhone 4 from Canada, even if it means maybe waiting another month for the Canada store to get white ones in stock. I'm in Richland, WA so the drive to a Vancouver, Canada store is only 6 hours and I figure I could make a round trip in a day. Anyone think I would run into problems setting up a reservation for a iPhone 4 from a store in Canada when I live in the USA? Think I would have any problems actually in the store buying the phone? I figure in Canada they don't actually check any service info since you're buying it unlocked, it should be a normal credit card transaction like if I was buying a Mac or headphones or anything from their store, right?

I could then either use my AT&T discount to get an iPhone 4 and then ebay it for maybe $400 or $500 and help offset the cost of the unlocked Canada phone or just not worry about that an be free from AT&T this time next summer....

I'm just worried about finding a person online to reserve a phone or try to order online for me, I don't want to wire off $700 or something and then have to wait 2 to 5 weeks or something before it actually ships to that person. I would if I knew them but my trust of random online people isn't that great yet...

2. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

Presuming that you're waiting for confirmation that it's in stock up here, then your idea sounds good.

I wouldn't imagine that Apple Store staff are going to demand Canadian ID or refuse to sell you one. Then just dump the packaging before you cross the border.

3. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, I would want to reserve it at a store (even if that means not getting it on release day, it feels like I've been waiting forever already, another week or two or three wouldn't be TOO bad for a factory unlocked one)

Think I can reserve one without having a Canada address?

Do you think I would have trouble bringing it back with the packaging? Wondering if I could get a box ready and mail it back to the US (not the phone, just the packaging), I like holding onto that stuff to keep resell value high :D

EDIT: Actually, I do know someone in Canada that might be able to drop by and Apple store or call to reserve one. Do you have to put any money down to do that or just drop by and give them your name and stuff? I don't think they would put any money out for it and I'm not sure if I trust sending them $700 or something to do that but I think they would meet me one afternoon to go pick it up with me if I bought them lunch or something :)

4. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Dude... if you wire $700 to a random person you met online, you deserve to be ripped off.

Are you serious?

Don't even consider this idea. Make a fun road trip of it, 6 hours, grab a hotel, get some dinner, drive home the next day.... it'll be a fun experience.

5. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Well I currently have a genius bar reservation for tonight at 4:50pm in Vancouver canada.. so I imagine that you CAN make a reservation yourself.

I CANNOT have a 3gs shipped to me though from canada... does not recognize my address... interesting.

6. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude, really?! Did you make it online? Let me know how it goes and post back here please!

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I made it online... i'm obviously not going haha... I live in ohio.

Just wanted to prove the point that you can make reservations yourself from USA.

I got an email confirmation and everything....

8. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

You can reserve an appointment with a Genius online if you're in the U.S, it's not an issue. I've done it several times the other way around, never had an issue. However, we've never been able to reserve an Apple product online and pick up in store, I highly doubt the iPhone 4 would be any different. I would hold off on going until you have some form of confirmation (i.e, an employee physically in possession) that we even have the white iPhone available. There are rumors going around that some stores (namely, Bell) have begun to receive their initial allotment, including white, however I would say it's unlikely the reports are true.

9. Xanderhoff macrumors member

Xanderhoff

yup, wait for confirmation.

OR you could buy it off canadian eBay, that'd work too.

10. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

For $1,500? ;)

Anyway, do you think if I called an Apple store and said that I'm in Canada for a month doing some traveling and wanted to get a new Iphone 4 they would hold one for me? If they had stock and if I said I could come get it that same day or tomorrow or something. I could even bring my laptop so I could say I can activate it instore or as soon as I get back to my "hotel".

11. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

I don't think they would even check you're Canadian, let alone care in the first place. You could say you're here on business, etc., but I think it's a bit unnecessary. That said, I would wait until we get something official from Apple which doesn't appear to be happening anytime in the immediate future.

12. draz macrumors 6502a

Yes that is right, Apple Canada will not ship the devices outside the country.

Hopefully having a non-Canadian credit card would work though if you plan on visiting and purchasing one.

13. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I'd call your credit card company and tell them you are traveling to Canada. Depending on the company, if they see a $700 charge in Canada come up on your account, they may block it in suspicion of fraud.

14. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, for sure. I'm just hoping Apple won't have any rules to ask for extra ID when they run a credit card that is from outside Canada or something.

15. eseminario macrumors member

Ok, please do it and let me know when you plan to ebay it..I want to buy that one!!!! Please PM me :)

16. draz macrumors 6502a

I suppose giving Apple a call at 1-800-MY-APPLE and see what they have to say about purchasing the unlocked phone at Apple Retail Store in Canada and what is required for non-Canadians.

17. draz macrumors 6502a

Oh there will be lots of unlocked iPhone 4's on sale on ebay starting next week :)

18. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I'm further away from our northern neighbor than you but I'm thinking about driving up there as well. I also have a contact in Australia that could buy the phone down there then ship it over here. I can't believe I'm willing to go through all of this just to have a phone on T-Mobile...

19. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Would they service Canadian purchased phones here in the US? Might be a problem.

20. draz macrumors 6502a

They could if they wanted. But the fine print says that you have to go to the country of purchase to get warranty. But we will see how Apple's US stores handle the servicing for phones purchased in Canada.

I'm sure they will do it but most likely charge a fee.

21. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

With my iPod Touch and iPad (both purchased in the U.S) I was told I must return to the U.S for service, not a big deal as I'm fairly close to the U.S. I could see Apple not being all that bothered about servicing an iPod or iPad but things are a bit different with the iPhone. While the Apple in the U.S certainly has the ability to access the Canadian iPhone's (and order them, they're also shipped from the same place) I doubt they would.

22. taran420 macrumors 6502a

You would need a Canadian credit card to buy in Canada.

You can't ship outside of Canada.

To the person who said that if you wire $700 to a stranger online you deserve to be ripped off. Well I've done that before to get the 1st gen iPhone and he didn't rip me off and I've helped someone in a similar situation but on another forum. It's all about trust and choosing the right person. But true it's a gamble.

I'd personally do a road trip if it is Vancouver, such a beautiful city!