Should I drop the Air and get a Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdeputy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

contemplating getting a MBP over my 13" Air but a few questions.

1. 1280x800 vs 1440x900. How much will I miss the screen real estate? I do love the Air screen.

2. I use my laptop as a portable and use the following: Quickbooks, Office Suite, Pixelmator, Safari and thats the majority of my usage. Will I see a marked difference coming from the air to a baseline 13" pro?

3. How badly will the 5400 RPM drive bottleneck the system? Will the air be faster at most tasks because of the ssd?

2. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I think you're going to miss the Air's screen if you switch. I think the Air is probably more snappy for your use with the SSD as well. Also, just a side note, but it's rumored that Sandy Bridge Airs may be on the horizon...some say June. Just a thought if you like the form factor of the current Air but think you need more horsepower.

3. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Well, I love the air form factor, and I think I am getting caught up in the sandy bridge hype. I know it's a great processor but the air works great for me currently and if I feel the need later I can get the sandy bridge air when it eventually comes, be it june or october.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You will see a difference in speed (5400RPM vs. SSD) but it's not big enough difference where you'll sit there and say "come on...". As for the screen resolution, that will come down to personal preference for your uses. For me, even if I were to use basic tasks like you, 1280x800 is way to small. I find that the 15-inch 1440x900 is still too small but any bigger I would have to sacrifice the size.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

with those requirements you could fly with a $200 acer one netbook :rolleyes:

keep your air...your just wasting money on the pro......