Should I dump by Macbook (Black) for an Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GizmoDVD, Jan 28, 2011.

  1. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

    Oct 11, 2008
    I have a late 2008 model Black MacBook (2.4ghz with 4GB of RAM) and am considering getting a new air (probably the 13.3" with 2GB of RAM and 128GB SSD). I really don't need Harddrive space or DVD Drive, so the trade-off is fine. But is this is a decent upgrade? Am I just going to get a small 'bump' or will it feel like a big enough upgrade?
  2. kellen macrumors 68020


    Aug 11, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I think the same "bump" you will find with the MBA can be accomplished by putting an SSD in your current macbook.

    Plus going from 4 to 2gb of ram doesn't sound great to me.
  3. Tomorrow macrumors 604


    Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    Here's my acid test I ask myself when faced with the should-I or shouldn't-I upgrade issue:

    "Does my current computer still do everything I need it to do?"

    If it doesn't, then I might be looking at an upgrade; if it does, well, I save my money.

    As for performance, I imagine you would notice a small, but insignificant, increase in performance. If it were me, I'd see it as more hassle (migrating over my information and settings, etc.) than it's worth.

    But that's me. :cool:
  4. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816


    Feb 5, 2007
    State of Denial
    I recently made a similar switch. I had a late 07 BlackBook 2.2. I had upgraded to 4gb ram and 320HD.

    Primary use for the computer was an internet machine for the wife. I use my iPad around the house so she would use the MB. It ran great, had no issues and was overall a wonderful machine. My only gripe, it was heavy when compared to using my iPad.

    I listed it on eBay and got well over what I thought was market value for it and replaced it with a 11.9 ultimate. Its an awesome machine. The size, the start up time everything. The only thing I miss is some HD space but I've moved all the phones, pods and pads to sync with my Mini (which has everything on it) and all is well.

    Did I need a new computer, no. Did I want a new computer, yes. So I bought it. Sounds like you're in the same position.
  5. KPOM macrumors G5

    Oct 23, 2010
    Putting in a fast SSD would provide a big boost, but note that the MacBook Air also benefits from the NVIDIA 320M integrated graphics processor. The "Blackbooks" used Intel integrated graphics.

    I'd suggest going with the 4GB version if that's what you have now. It would be $1399 for either the 13" or "Ultimate" 11".
  6. Boston007 macrumors 6502


    Apr 9, 2010
    Do not even bother with a 2G ram MBA.
    Go in a store and try the 4G 13" MBA.

    I think you will notice a huge difference, IMO
  7. TSE macrumors 68030

    Jun 25, 2007
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Honestly, unless you need the extra battery life or graphics card, it isn't worth it.
  8. KPOM macrumors G5

    Oct 23, 2010
    What's your basis for this conclusion?

    It depends on the OP's wants. The new MacBook Airs would be faster at most tasks than the "BlackBook" by virtue of the SSD and the NVIDIA IGP (which would more than offset the slightly slower CPU for most everyday tasks). Whether it's worth the cost is a decision only the OP can make. If s/he is on a tight budget, it might not be worth it, but for me, the boost from the Rev B MacBook Air was worth the price of admission.
  9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

    May 6, 2004

    How much did you get for yours on ebay?

    I was thinking of selling my late 06 Blackbook, with legit MS Office 2008 Mac, and a legit copy of window xp or vista, along with a legit copy of Office 2007 for PC.

    I'm considering the 13" for the higher res screen and better graphics card. I hate the Blackbook's Intel Integrated Graphics 950 which causes the fans to run full tilt after 1-2 minutes of video/youtube/h.264.

Share This Page