Should I even bother ordering an iMac at the moment?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by definitive, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. definitive macrumors 68000

    definitive

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2008
    #1
    I want the Radeon 4850 model, but haven't decided if I should order it this month or not since it probably won't ship till May. I'll be graduating from my school in May, and from what I hear the Snow Leopard comes out in June, so I'm not sure if I'll still be able to get the student discount on it.
     
  2. gasport macrumors 6502

    gasport

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    #2
    It will ship soon and SL is no guarantee for June....
     
  3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

    iLog.Genius

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #3
    If you need a computer get one now, if not wait until Snow Leopard actually ships. There is very little, if not any benefit in waiting until Snow Leopard ships other than saving retail price for SL. In terms of hardware, sure might be a small spec bump but very minor in terms of what you actually gain,
     
  4. txnoob macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    #4
    Not only that, I'm not sure I'm going to be all that excited about it on first release. 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 should have most issues figured out.
     
  5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

    jmpage2

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #5
    Snow Leopard coming out in June is highly unlikely. Even if it's announced and released to developers in June, it probably won't be released to the public until Aug/September (rumors currently put September as the likely release date) and as others said, it will probably take a dot release or two to be stable, by which time new hardware will be in the pipeline for release.

    If you need the computer today, then buy it today.
     
  6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

    Le Big Mac

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #6
    Have any compelling features for snow leopard been announced? Yes, newer is always better, and I'm sure there will be some modest improvements. But from what I've read I don't see some huge need to wait for it.
     
  7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

    jmpage2

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #7
    There will be huge improvements, but we won't know all the details till it's out. Grand Central, OpenCL, etc.
     
  8. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #8
    From the speculation I hear from MacCast and Mac Break Weekly - seems that SL probably won't ship until about - September.
     

Share This Page