Should I exchange? (AirPods)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by joeblow7777, Sep 29, 2018.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Just got my first set of AirPods yesterday. They are amazing little devices! But today I’ve noticed occasional “hiccups”, so to speak, in the audio when I simply place my phone in my pants pocket, as if the connection is weak. The AirPods are fully charged, and before someone asks, no, my pockets are not lined with lead or something, just regular denim. And I’m not carrying some other electronic device that might cause interference.

Is this normal? Is it just something that happens with a newly synced device? Should I just wait and see? Thoughts?

2. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

I’m using an iPhone 8 Plus if that matters...

3. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I would continue to use them for a couple days before you make a decision. For most people the AirPods work perfectly.

4. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

In my experience, this is not normal behavior. The connectivity of mine has been superb. I can leave my phone at my desk at work and go all the way across the office into another room and still be connected. I can also leave my phone in the house and usually have connection in my yard. I've never experienced a connection issue when the two devices are that near. It might be something else causing the issue.

5. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Before you exchange them, I would try forgetting them and then reconnecting them to your phone. It could have just been a bad connection.

6. Paco II macrumors 65816

I'd take a different approach. Since AirPods are now plentiful and easy to get, just do a return/exchange.

7. joeblow7777, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

So I just tried this. I haven’t actually tested in my pocket yet to see if it worked, but one thing already struck me as odd. I thought you weren’t supposed to need to press the button on the case when syncing with an iPhone... (see attached picture)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2018 ---
    I'll only exchange as a last resort. It's a waste of my time as going to my local Apple Store is a bit out of the way during the week, and it's always quite busy on weekends. Also, if it turns out that I can resolve the problem myself or that it simply goes away, that saves a perfectly good pair of Airpods that would otherwise no longer be able to be sold as new. Does Apple even refurbish Airpods? If not, that's an even bigger waste.

Attached Files:

8. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

If you deleted the pairing, then yes, you have to press the button on the back to begin the repairing process.

9. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

You’d seriously do a return before you did any troubleshooting? That’s such an incredible waste of time when simple fix is more than likely all that’s needed.

10. Paco II macrumors 65816

I hear what your saying. But why have the OP deal with any of this stuff when it's brand new. Sure, if troubleshooting is easier than exchanging, go for it. But if it's easier to pop into an Apple Store and exchange for a new one (return and buy again to make it easier) than why not go that route?

11. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Ah, I see.

I didn’t notice any hiccups today. I’ll see if that keeps up this week.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2018 ---
    I see where you’re both coming from and I thank you both for your advice. I’m going to keep testing them out until at least next weekend and proceed from there.