Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Just got my first set of AirPods yesterday. They are amazing little devices! But today I’ve noticed occasional “hiccups”, so to speak, in the audio when I simply place my phone in my pants pocket, as if the connection is weak. The AirPods are fully charged, and before someone asks, no, my pockets are not lined with lead or something, just regular denim. And I’m not carrying some other electronic device that might cause interference.

Is this normal? Is it just something that happens with a newly synced device? Should I just wait and see? Thoughts?

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
I would continue to use them for a couple days before you make a decision. For most people the AirPods work perfectly.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
In my experience, this is not normal behavior. The connectivity of mine has been superb. I can leave my phone at my desk at work and go all the way across the office into another room and still be connected. I can also leave my phone in the house and usually have connection in my yard. I've never experienced a connection issue when the two devices are that near. It might be something else causing the issue.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Before you exchange them, I would try forgetting them and then reconnecting them to your phone. It could have just been a bad connection.

Reactions: joeblow7777

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I'd take a different approach. Since AirPods are now plentiful and easy to get, just do a return/exchange.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Before you exchange them, I would try forgetting them and then reconnecting them to your phone. It could have just been a bad connection.

So I just tried this. I haven’t actually tested in my pocket yet to see if it worked, but one thing already struck me as odd. I thought you weren’t supposed to need to press the button on the case when syncing with an iPhone... (see attached picture)
[doublepost=1538322224][/doublepost]
I'd take a different approach. Since AirPods are now plentiful and easy to get, just do a return/exchange.

I'll only exchange as a last resort. It's a waste of my time as going to my local Apple Store is a bit out of the way during the week, and it's always quite busy on weekends. Also, if it turns out that I can resolve the problem myself or that it simply goes away, that saves a perfectly good pair of Airpods that would otherwise no longer be able to be sold as new. Does Apple even refurbish Airpods? If not, that's an even bigger waste.

Attachments

• 3D4F0295-54DD-4F72-A6AA-18000E433CEA.png
    3D4F0295-54DD-4F72-A6AA-18000E433CEA.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfi

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
So I just tried this. I haven’t actually tested in my pocket yet to see if it worked, but one thing already struck me as odd. I thought you weren’t supposed to need to press the button on the case when syncing with an iPhone... (see attached picture)
[doublepost=1538322224][/doublepost]

I'll only exchange as a last resort. It's a waste of my time as going to my local Apple Store is a bit out of the way during the week, and it's always quite busy on weekends. Also, if it turns out that I can resolve the problem myself or that it simply goes away, that saves a perfectly good pair of Airpods that would otherwise no longer be able to be sold as new. Does Apple even refurbish Airpods? If not, that's an even bigger waste.

If you deleted the pairing, then yes, you have to press the button on the back to begin the repairing process.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

You’d seriously do a return before you did any troubleshooting? That’s such an incredible waste of time when simple fix is more than likely all that’s needed.

Reactions: joeblow7777

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I hear what your saying. But why have the OP deal with any of this stuff when it's brand new. Sure, if troubleshooting is easier than exchanging, go for it. But if it's easier to pop into an Apple Store and exchange for a new one (return and buy again to make it easier) than why not go that route?

You’d seriously do a return before you did any troubleshooting? That’s such an incredible waste of time when simple fix is more than likely all that’s needed.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
If you deleted the pairing, then yes, you have to press the button on the back to begin the repairing process.

Ah, I see.

I didn’t notice any hiccups today. I’ll see if that keeps up this week.
[doublepost=1538352826][/doublepost]

I hear what your saying. But why have the OP deal with any of this stuff when it's brand new. Sure, if troubleshooting is easier than exchanging, go for it. But if it's easier to pop into an Apple Store and exchange for a new one (return and buy again to make it easier) than why not go that route?

I see where you’re both coming from and I thank you both for your advice. I’m going to keep testing them out until at least next weekend and proceed from there.

Reactions: Ralfi and Paco II
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.