should I exchange MBP 13" 2012 to MBP 15" 2011?? help needed!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apoenq, Jun 15, 2015.

1. apoenq, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

apoenq macrumors member

Hi guys, I am currently own a base model of cMbp 13" Mid 2012 model (2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, intel HD4000). And now I can get cMbp 15" Early 2011 (2.2Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, intel HD3000/HD6750M 1GB DDR5) by exchanging my 13" Mid 2012 without additional cost. Do you guys think I should make this deal? Is this a good deal and worth it? I am not sure if this is an upgrade or downgrade actually since i am going for older model (the one with GPU issue! >.<). I am trying to compare the pros and cons for both model. Please help to comment on this and add on if i missed out something! thanks guys!

My Background
    I am using my laptop mainly for watching movies, web-browsing and remote desktop for working. I am a casual gamer who only play MMORPG GW2, LOL, Dota2, TF2 recently. I just started to do a simple video editing for my gopro footage using normal GoPro Studio software (not really an expert in video editing, just started to learn :)) but not sure in the future if I am going to use more heavy or advance software. I am also got iMac mid 2011 - 2.5Ghz i5 core (with AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB) which is mainly for playing and video editing. But currently am thinking that should I have a laptop that can play some games and video editing also? I just bring my laptop outside once a week.

cMbp 13" Mid 2012
    Pros:
    • smaller footprint, more portable (but i only carry laptop outside once a week..)
    • longer battery life
    • no known GPU issue?
    Cons:
    • My MBP got a white dot in the screen! it is not a dead pixel since I can still see it after I turn it off. it is more like foreign object. I am quite annoyed with this. >.<
    • Less powerful than 15" (almost 2 times slower based on geekbench!)
    • Less resolution than 15" and smaller screen size (can be pros and cons I know..hmm..)
    • 4GB only (I might need to fork out money if i want to upgrade to 8GB in the future)

cMbp 15" Early 2011
    Pros:
    • higher model in 2011 and more powerful based on geekbench (~2x)
    • 8GB RAM (more future proof, dun think i need 16GB)
    • better GPU compared to HD4000 (I play old games like GW2 and TF2 MAC OS version, can HD6750M help much when I play these games? I also do simple video editing using GoPro Studio but I dont think HD4000 cannot handle this right?)
    Cons:
    • High GPU failure rate. End of replacement program FEB 2016. No issue so far with the laptop but can we send to apple repair to check the GPU condition? anyone experience another failure after we change the GPU with apple replacement program? Does replacement program fix the issue permanently? or they just change the GPU so there will be chances GPU will fail again?)
    • Big and bulky. But again I only carry the laptop outside once a week..
    • lower battery life (1-2 hours lesser I guess?)
    • USB2.0??!! Is this going to reduce transfer speed much in real life? I rarely transfer file honestly, only transfer video from my GoPro but that can be done with SD card slot..

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well it sounds like a fair swap to me, you are basically swapping better specs for decreased hardware reliability. Only you can decide if thats worth it for you.

3. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Hi Samuelsan2001, thanks for the quick reply. Can you help on below two points I mentioned earlier in the post?
    • better GPU compared to HD4000 (I play old games like GW2 and TF2 MAC OS version, can HD6750M help much when I play these games? I also do simple video editing using GoPro Studio but I dont think HD4000 cannot handle this right?)
    • High GPU failure rate. End of replacement program FEB 2016. No issue so far with the laptop but can we send to apple repair to check the GPU condition? anyone experience another failure after we change the GPU with apple replacement program? Does replacement program fix the issue permanently? or they just change the GPU so there will be chances GPU will fail again?)

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well the GPU will give better results in gaming (as will the quad core and extra RAM for more intensive games) As for simple 1080p video editing the GPU and quad core will be a lot faster for rendering times etc but if it's not time sensitive it won't make too much difference.

I have yet to find a definitive answer on the GPU (logic board) replacement people are still reporting failures after the supposed fix.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Long story short, I wouldn't. The lack of USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 4.0 makes it hopelessly outdated, and when El Capitan comes, the 2011 wouldn't be able to support Metal, while the 2012 would.

Besides, there's Radeongate to worry about.

6. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Hi yjchua95, thanks a lot for your reply. I would keep that in mind. :) yeah the radeongate make me more worried now.. >.< anyone got another inputs? thanks!

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

You are a brave man for considering a 2011 with the dGPU.

8. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

haha got it, thanks for your comment! :)