Should i exchange MP for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ^squirrel^, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi,

Last week i decided that i couldn't wait any longer for the Macbook Pro and now obviously today a new one has appeared.

The Macpro spec i went for was...

2.8 8 core
    2gb ram
    320gb HD
    8800GT
    Airport
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

I play a few games such as Flight Sim X, Battlefield 2142 and Call of duty 4, hence why i went for the 8800GT. I also play at a local LAN gaming night once a month and you need to be a Russian Powerlifter to get this bad boy over there!

On the OSX side, i do a bit of Handbrake, bit of iMovie and generally email and internet.

I'm a little bit disappointed that the MBP didn't come with a 300gb 5400rpm. My current OSX drive is 112gb and my Windows drive is 60gb. This wouldn't leave me with much space on a Macbook Pro.

So is a Macpro overkill for my needs and should i send it back for the Macbook Pro? Or should i just zip my trap and be happy with what i've got?

Thanks for your time.

Darren

2. l4t13 macrumors regular

i guess ask yourself do you need something to take with you?

3. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

It would help my back. Lifting this unit doesn't do anyone any good!

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you only need to be mobile once a month, stick with the MP...it dominates the MBP hands down. If however you need mobility on a more frequent basis, then perhaps a MBP would better fit your needs. Just a thought though, since you got a customized MP with the 8800GT, Apple DOES NOT accept returns. I guess you'd have to go the route of selling it.

5. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

They do in the UK and i got them to confirm that i would received a full refund.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Oh nice. In that case you have a tough decision. How much of a concern is mobility for you? I love my MBP to death, carry it with me everyday.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

8. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

The Macpro is such an awesome machine...... however the RAM for it is soooooooo expensive here in the UK. I'm thinking that a MBP would do just as good job for what i use it for.

9. taibien86 macrumors member

i don't know about you, but i just enjoy playing games on a desktop much more than a laptop. but if you're planing on getting the 17", it doesn't make that much of a difference and you might be better off with that so you don't have to lug around the macpro

10. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I probably go for the 15" as it's enough for my needs. Most of my gaming these days is done on Xbox 360, but it's these events where i play COD 4 and Battlefield 2142 over a LAN.

11. akadmon macrumors 68010

Keep it. I was in a similar situation in the Fall 2006 -- was originally waiting for the first C2D MBP, but wound up getting a Mac Pro. Been loving it ever since (yada yada yada)!

If you need occasional portability, buy an inexpensive PC laptop or a used/refurbished MB. As for RAM, surely you must have some friends or family in the US. Just have them buy it and ship it to you. Be careful, though -- they may ask for their money back ;)

12. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Yeah i think you're right! Gonna hang onto the MP and maybe i'll treat myself to a MBP when the case gets a redesign. Not that anything is wrong with it at the moment. But was hoping for a magnetic latch and bigger HD.

Cant have it all i guess.

13. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Good call. You could even consider a refurb, they are going for pretty cheap now. Having both eventually would be the best of both worlds, right? At least that's what I am hoping for, ;)

14. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Thanks all for putting my mind at ease. Much appreciated. :)

15. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Why not get top of the line macbook pro with big HDD and connect it to your monitor when you are at home? Sell the mac pro... to me!

16. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Why not get top of the line macbook pro with big HDD and connect it to your monitor when you are at home? Sell the mac pro... to me!

17. DaveF macrumors 6502a

If you can return it for no restocking fee, maybe it's worth reconsidering your options -- that's a whole-lot of computer for email and modest iMovie use. But otherwise, enjoy and don't dwell on "what-ifs" :)