Should I exchange my iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cubedweller, Aug 13, 2008.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

So I've read all the horror stories here and I have to say that mine is not nearly as bad as some but I do have one dead/stuck pixel in the center of my screen (it is only visible with dark color backgrounds) but it drives me nuts (my original iPhone never had screen problems). I thought I could live with it, but I'm just not so sure that I should.

I have not experienced any of the other issues that others are reporting: no case cracking (16GB Black wk.30), no light leak, great battery life, strong 3g reception, normal backup/sync times.

So I just want some suggestions as to what other people would do ... should I exchange it for a new one (and potentially risk one of the other problems popping up)? Should I just live with it (since everything else works fine)? What would you do...?

Thanks!

~E

2. godkorg macrumors member

godkorg

3. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, I'll give it a shot. But if it doesn't work, my question still stands: what would you do in this situation? I have an appointment at the Apple Store today, so I have all day to make a decision. :)

Thanks!

4. danielforman macrumors regular

If you do take it back and get offered a replacement make sure you inspect the new one before you leave the store to make sure it has no problems/defects.

I am currently playing iPhone 3G Russian Roulette. Am on my 5 unit now from O2-UK and am now going to go to the Genius Bar at my closest Apple store which is 2 hours away. With my first one the Sleep/Wake button started to come loose about 2 weeks after I got it, other than that no other major problems. But every replacement since has had dust under the glass, light leak and rough edges.

Not very impressed by the quality. Usually Apple products are really high quality and I really enjoy using them but this time I'm disappointed and expect better from Apple

5. Clyde099 macrumors regular

Make sure you pick a background that displays your issue perfectly when showing it to a genius.

6. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I'm worried about -- with all the problems people are having I think I should just leave it alone, but I find it hard to justify paying so much money for something that is clearly defective (albeit a small defect but a defect nonetheless).

Decisions...Decisions...

~E

7. MisterEd macrumors 6502

If you do decide you want a replacement, make sure you get on the Genius guys's side, and be pleasant - I've noticed you can get very different results depending on the way the conversation goes :)

Ed