Should I exchange my iphone due to green blob?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdventurousJosh, Nov 3, 2010.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys -
    So I was messing around with my camera in my room the other day and noticed a very, very obvious green blob in the middle. I did some research and found out its common among phones, and only occurs in rooms with florescent lighting.
    Well i do have florescent lighting.
    I went outside and couldn't see the blob anymore.

Should I exchange it, or is this with every single phone?

Thanks

Josh

2. iShorty macrumors regular

iShorty

Green? They normally have a blue tint in photos.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Relavent to my interests. I'll watch the thread to see what results you get.

4. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You can always try and see what they say. Never hurts to ask.

5. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Depends on whether the green blob is in front of the iPhone or behind. ;)

6. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but is this common among all iPhone 4's in rooms with florescent lightings? if so, me exchanging my phone would be a waste of time.

Any advise anybody??

7. g35 macrumors 6502a

In an earlier thread other people posted that exchanging iPhones resolved the problem. But this was months ago so I don't know if they're still exchanging for this reason. If you try could you post back with the result? Cause I (and the other guy in this thread) have the problem, too, and it's really annoying but the nearest Apple store is pretty far from me.

8. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I get the green/blue blob in some of my photos too. I want to exchange it but I know that it wont help.

9. missfriend macrumors newbie

Well, in my opinion, there's no need to exchange it. It will cost a lot of money. If you don't need to take photo often, just take phone outside. If you really need to take photo indoor, you can buy a camera. The camera can put indoor, it is reallyconvenient to use. I think, the cost of camera and a new phone will be nearly equal. And it has deceased a risk that if the new also has the problem.

10. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I just bought my phone so I still can swap it using AppleCare.
    So it Wont cost me a lot of money.

I do intend on using the camera often but like I said the green blob only happens on floresent lighting. I've taken pictures outside and not had the issue. The only place that I'll take pictures in with florescent lighting is my house, otherwise I don't see it being an issue.

That said if this problem is not among all iPhone I'll exchange it.

Thoughts??

11. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

What you are seeing is the anti-reflective coating that the lens is coated with. AR coatings work very well in natural light but, generally artificial light is terrible with AR coatings. It is because of the Thin-Film Interference Phenomenon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference

Also the fact that the lens itself is not recessed like the 3G, exaggerates the problem. Most phones that have AR coatings on the lenses have similar/same problems. For example the HTC HD2 had a "pink spot" http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-660356.html

12. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. So it's same with all phones?

13. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Florescent lighting is the devil, get rid of it.

14. err404 macrumors 68020

A phone should work to best of it's ability. If OPs camera is not performing up to spec, it should be replaced. The only question is whether or not this is a problem with his phone or the tech Apple chose.
    From what I have read, the issue is the type of camera, so while it's fair to ask Apple about it, a new handset may not address the problem.

15. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Well all phones that have an AR coating on their lenses (which yes, is most smartphones). You can normally see it if you tilt your phone a little in flouescent light while looking at the back lens. Youll see a distinct "green/bluish" shade to the glass on the lens.

16. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

oh sorry, typo. I meant this is the same with all iPhones* so it wouldn't be worth swapping?

17. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Yes, get it replaced.

I had an odd issue with mine that seems to be very rare. It was the only issue I had with my iPhone. And while getting mine replaced we went through two new iPhones at my local BB where I got mine. All of them had the green blob in the middle. I finally got a good one at the Apple store.

It's a bit of a hassle to take the time out of your day to go do all this but lets face it. You paid money for a perfect product and you shouldn't settle for a screwed up feature in your phone. Not to mention how wonderful it is to have a working one with no issues at all.

On a side note. Who made this custom camera for Apple? Because the camera is almost a bigger issue than the antenna.

18. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I have that same problem, and I kept mind. I don't feel like it's a big enough issue for me to exchange it. And also, if you do exchange it, chances are, the new iPhone you're gonna get is gonna have the same problem.

19. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

the green spot isnt even an issue of a defective phone. stop being so OCD about it.

20. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Does anybody have an iPhone 4 that doesn't have any blob issues in middle under fluorescent lighting?

21. xraytech macrumors 68020

Total waste of time if you exchange your iP4. All iP4s will get that artifact.

Try using the flash when shooting under florescent lights.

22. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Change the lighting and not the phone. Fluorescent lighting will cause problems with any camera. It's even worse with a simple automatic camera like an iPhone that you have almost no control over. The basic problem is that fluorescent lighting isn't steady. It's flickering during the shot! Add daylight, flash, incandescent or any steady light to improve the picture. :D

23. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Final word

So, does this affect all iPhone 4s?

I would prefer not to replace, as mine is 2 days old. The green blob is very bad in flourescent light though.

24. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i nvr had a green blob before then a month ago i got one, then with 4.2.1 it went away. not saying that the software corrected the issue but i can say it could go away

25. zephxiii, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

zephxiii macrumors 6502