Should I exchange my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by somerley, May 11, 2011.

1. somerley macrumors newbie

As the title says. I'm within the 14 day exchange period. The major thing stopping me is that this is my third MacBook Pro (first one wouln't boot up at all, second one I exchanged for hard drive noise - which just turned out to loud but normal).

This is what is making me think of exchanging it:
    - For the first two days, it wouldn't charge for any longer than about 20 minutes maximum with an average about 5 - 10 minutes. The magsafe adapter would simply turn off, and then I had to wait about 20 minutes, plug, unplug it, and then it would charge again for a while before dying again. I tried installing the latest updates, smc resets, pram resets and nothing worked. Then suddenly after two days, it just started working - except I seem to have to plug and unplug the magsafe adapter every time I use it in a different outlet (need to confirm this since it usually just stays in the same outlet). So it's pretty much working now, but I'm not sure if I should just settle for "pretty much". I'm especially suspicious about what exactly was wrong in the first place and if it'll fail later.
    - There are a number of small cosmetic defects. First, when I unwrapped it from the seal there was some glue residue around the screen. Fine, whatever, I cleaned it off. But there's also some strange kind of grid pattern of half-centimetre squares on the black glossy bezel that seems like some kind of oil or glue residue that won't come off after cleaning. It's not visible until there's water applied to it or until it's in direct light. There are also some tiny (not visible from a distance but definitely there) defects: two little chips on the edge near the trackpad, some kind of oil stain that looks like a dent but doesn't seem to be on the left of the trackpad, a little scratch on the left of the keyboard and a tiny hole in the aluminium above the power button.

After three MBPs in a row, I'm just wary that the next replacement will be even worse or have different problems. I'm also wondering if such little defects in the finish are normal or not? Though I did have a close look at another MBP in the store and it seemed pretty pristine...Your thoughts?

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Have you checked to make sure they didn't give you the same machine twice? You seam to be very very unlucky. ;(

3. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

What does it matter if u have had 3 or 3000? After paying out that amount of money you deserve to get one that's perfect. Not one that you can put up with.

4. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Far too many defects to put up with on a new machine. Any one of those would trigger a return IMHO. The charging issue could be the Magsafe charger or it could be the logic board. Either way that is completely abnormal behaviour.

Take it back.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

agreed. i can't believe you would even consider not exchanging it :)

6. shelhed217 macrumors member

Definitely exchange it, you need to be happy with it.

7. jAguero16 macrumors member

Not just once, but three attempts?

You must be very unlucky there bro.

8. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

regarding the cosmetic irregularities, I would not put up with something like that. What I would do is ask for a refund (or even store credit/gift card for the full amount) and go to a different apple store in your area if there is one. It could be a bad rash of that particular model was delivered to that store at a given time, so the chances of getting one with similar defects is higher. You could also order online with the gift card to make sure you get one that is isolated from the ones you got at the store.

regarding the power situation: what's the electric wiring like in your house? It could be that there are some power/voltage issues causing the havoc. I would try it out somewhere that you know has legitimate and professionally managed power outlets (school, bookstore, office, cafe, etc). Shoddy electric work makes stuff act funny

9. somerley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone! Just to clarify a bit more:
    - There actually wasn't anything wrong with the second replacement. Well, I don't think so as this one has the same hard drive noise. (Am thinking now that I should have just stuck with the second!)
    - With regards to the charging issue. It definitely seems like something wrong with this particular MBP/charger since the second MBP charged fine and no other electronics in the house are having any problems
    - I will admit that I am someone who pays a lot of attention to detail. So the cosmetic defects are something along the lines of they'll be visible to someone who looks very carefully at it, but probably not to people just looking at it normally. How I discovered they were actually defects was that I thought they were just pieces of dust at first, but when they didn't come off I looked closer and saw that it was actually tiny (so about a few mm) chips/scratches in the aluminum.

........Change in circumstances: just as I was typing this reply up, the adapter stopped charging.
    Very, very annoyed. Looks like I'll be back on the phone with Apple. Hopefully they can do an advanced replacement considering the number of defective machines in a row, or possibly a refund. But what I'm concerned with is that I'm still waiting for the rebate for the Back to School promotion to go through - won't that be affected if the MBP is refunded?

Edit: And now after a few minutes, charging again. I suppose I'll just try to make the battery last until I get this sorted out.

10. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

apple promos are very easy to work with, and as long as you keep the paperwork you can call the 1800 # and have them make sure your rebate is "pushed" through in case it hits any snags. Just take the names of the rebate people you talk to as well as the status of the rebate as time passes. Even if it is denied they are able to validate it after the fact

11. Jeriff macrumors newbie

Do as you wish. Actually, I am now using PC, Windows 7 SP1:D O(∩_∩)O~

12. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

have fun, to each their own. I still use windows for my HTPC, as well as windows home server and keep one next to the porcelain throne in case of an extended stay.