iPad Should I exchange my refurb iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ipadlover29, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I'm on my second refurb iPad 3 that has backlight bleeding. The first one was much worse. I know I can go into a store and do an exchange at the genius bar. The problem is that the replacement maybe worse or the same. Also the replacement might have iOS 6. I will loose my jailbreak and I prefer iOS 5.1.1 because of the YouTube and google maps app.

Would I still be able to exchange it later after the next jailbreak? I can probably say I just noticed the backlight bleeding then maybe a month or two from now.

Any ideas? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

2. seazer macrumors newbie

Honestly, almost all iPad screens have at least SOME backlight bleeding.

If I had an iPad with a display that had no other faults except 2 little spots of backlight bleeding, I wouldn't gamble again. Dead pixels, Dust under screen, little chips around the edges, all plague the iPads... and I'd rather settle with backlight bleeding.

3. McPaul macrumors member

If you can exchange it, I certainly would. It's a beautiful machine. So sorry you're having troubles with your refurb, but it was sold as a refurb and that's the risk you take in buying.

Again, exchange it if you can, but whatever you do, be honest about it. Don't lie to them or give a fake return reason. Karma can really be a bitch... Like in the form of a lemon iPad. :(

4. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree. Also under normal conditions ie the brightness level I set at normally I never notice it. I set my brightness at about 25% most of the time. It's when its set 50% or higher that I start noticing it. This one has about four little areas along bottom if watching YouTube in landscape mode. The first one had six larger areas and was much more noticable. Like you said there's no guarantee the replacement will be better it may even be worse. Thanks for your input.

----------

What do you mean when you say "it was sold as a refurb and that's the risk you take in buying."?

Refurbs are just as good as new apple products. I've owned iPads which were not refurbs and they had even worse back light bleeding than the refurbs. Seems like your misinformed about apple products.

What does karma have to with anything? Seems your intentions were good in your reply but you just lost me in your statements.