Should I expect a new 13in Retina soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac.User, Oct 28, 2014.

  1. Mac.User macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    #1
    I'm weighing options for a new 13in laptop. my current options are:

    Dell XPS13
    Pros: under $1300
    Cons: GPU power

    Alienware 13
    Pros: 2560x1440 display, GPU
    Cons: $1500, no i7 option yet

    MacBook Pro 13 Retina
    Pros: Aluminum body, display resolution, better GPU than the XPS
    Cons: Price (1700 how I want it), GPU not as good as the Alienware

    I'm OS agnostic so I can use Windows or OS X just as easily. I just cant decide. The Alienware JUST launched today and I assume the MB and XPS will refresh soon. I have a couple of weeks before needing a new machine will be more critical, but if I'd be waiting more than 2 months then I'll just get what ever is available then.
     
  2. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #2
    No.

    Any update is at least 8-12 months away. They were just updated in late july.
     
  3. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    #3
    Wasn't that just their small CPU refresh?
     
  4. kittencounter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2013
    #4
    They are totally different computers. GPU performance shouldn't be list as cons. 13inch Macbooks are very good working computers. Maybe it's just me but I never considered them for gaming. Something tells me that the Macbook Air update is gonna be huge but it won't coming soon because of CPU refresh. Since they will upgrade the CPU and the display they will also change hardware visuals.
     
  5. chleuasme macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    #5
    Apple can only follow intel releases. It's intel's roadmap that will mainly dictate Apple's roadmap (... on flagship Mac lines, like the rMBP line, updates occur with each new bump/upgrade from intel).
    Don't expect anything new from intel fitting inside a rMBP13 before at best the second quarter of 2015.
    Buy now or wait minimum 6 months ;)
     

Share This Page