Should I expect a smooth warranty replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by utcarsons, Jul 20, 2010.

1. utcarsons macrumors regular

I finally set a genius appt for this afternoon for a replacement. I was VERY hesitant to do this as I have not had any other major problems with this phone. I have one tiny speck of dust under the screen, but it's not in a bothersome place, no issues with my proximity sensor, etc.

My reason for requesting replacement is that my phone is dropping calls ALOT and in places where my husband's iPhone 4 performs without a problem. We both use a bumper. I kept thinking it was something I may be doing, but it is becoming quite a bit more obvious with time. I've also had problems with 3G data that he hasnt.

I know they are not doing replacements for reception issues, but this isn't a "death-grip" issue at all... Should I expect problems getting a replacement? I cant exactly re-create the problem there... Can they check diagnostically to verify my dropped and call failed problem?

Thanks for any help/advice.

2. rsnaider macrumors member

The dust might be enough, but reception will not get you a new phone. I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago due to reception issues, but they ran the diagnostics on my phone and it shows 49 Modem resets. A number that according to the Genius should only be around 5 or less on a phone that just a week old.

Insist on the diagnostics and see what it shows if they are hesitant to offer the replacement.

3. utcarsons thread starter macrumors regular

4. IndianGuy macrumors regular

IndianGuy

I am getting my phone replaced - just for saying I am having reception issues.

Key is - reserve a replacement phone for yourself (so you will be doing return-re-purchase) - get on their priority list so when you walk in you know they have an extra phone reserved for you.

5. utcarsons thread starter macrumors regular

My plan at this point is to ask them to check the diagnostics on my phone right from the get go. If there IS a problem, it will probably show up on the modem resets. If there is no indication of a problem there and I will consider a return/repurchase, but my impression is that the priority list is still a multiple week wait... and I dont have a backup phone at this point so that would be :(