Should I expect issues upgrading to 144.0.0.0.0 via AHCI drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by matthewpomar, Jun 8, 2019.

1. matthewpomar, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

matthewpomar macrumors member

I have read that lots of folks cannot update their Mac Pro to 144.0.0.0.0 if they are booting / installing from an NVMe drive. There's all kinds of steps involving built-in SATA drives and cloning.

I'm using a Kingston Predator AHCI formatted APFS on PCIe card booting Mojave. Should I expect he same problems as others using NVMe boot trying to update my firmware? Or will the firmware update normally on an AHCI drive?

Thank you.

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

I had no problems updating from NVMe or AHCI drives. If you want it go off without a hitch, upgrading from an internal SATA drive seems to have the greatest success rate.

3. bookemdano macrumors 65816

No pattern is yet discernible in who can and who can't. Just try it for yourself. Make sure you understand the process to initiate the upgrade and then try it at least three or four times (sometimes it's just stubborn and will work eventually). If you still stay stuck at 140.0.0.0.0 or 141.0.0.0.0 then shove in a SATA drive and boot from it to initiate the upgrade--most likely it will work.

4. matthewpomar thread starter macrumors member

For anyone interested, I had no problems going from 141 to 144 using the AHCI boot drive.

Curious, does anyone know what each of these ROM updates give you?