should I fill up my SSD or get external storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigskygreg, Jun 23, 2011.

1. bigskygreg macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 MBP i5 2.53 8gb 256 SSD. At this time, I really don't need more storage space, but I am wondering if I use my SSD for all my storage needs and continually write and re-write to that drive, will I slow down my system?

I switched from PC this year and so I am used to Windows slowing down over time as "stuff" is added to the hard drive. I love the speed of my MBP and think the SSD is great, but want to ensure that it doesn't slow down.

So, should I use my SSD for OS and apps only and use an external for all my media, files, etc?

or

Should I use (and abuse?) the SSD until I begin to need more space?

Thanks

2. satirev macrumors 6502

yes itwill slow it down.

general rule is you should always keep about 30 gb free.

use external storage or add a data doubler in the optibay

3. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

What did you do with the original HDD you replaced? You can always buy a usb powered enclosure for 20 bucks at OWC and use it for storage.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

He never said he replaced a HD with the current SSD.

If I was in your shoes, and didn't want to get a OWC DataDoubler, I would get a FW800 external drive, something 1TB or larger.

5. Sam2lucky13, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

So short answer is apple has it?

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Huh? You do know you can order a MacBook Pro from Apple with a SSD, right?

7. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

Uh yeah that was kinda my point

8. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

What's the point to get a SSD and be worry it will slow down if you keep your working files on it? If you have the OS and applications on SSD and keep the working files outside on some regular device like HD or so, you still slow down when getting to work on your files. I guess if you got so great machine with a SSD, go ahed and use it and not be worry of slowing it down. Even if indeed it slows down it will not be by much for you to even notice. So, don't worry about some milliseconds that the geeks figure the SSd will slow down. lol, lol, :rolleyes::rolleyes:

RFlush

9. bigskygreg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback! The SSD is original from apple.

RFlush-thanks! I think your right!

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I wouldn't worry too much. Yes SSDs can experience slow downs, but
    1. there is some spare areas set aside on most modern SSDs and it is not as problematic anymore as it used to be.
    2. They often recover very well on their own today
    3. In tests they bombard it with random data and access but if your frequently write and delete big sustained writes such as movie files that is almost like cleaning it. Thus if you are any normal kind of person and the biggest chunk of data is big files like movies, images ... than there is little need to worry about slowdowns.

You need to worry if you run a small 64GB drive with mostly Apps and OS on it, but not with a big 256GB drive where most stuff is media which doesn't cause too many random writes.