Should I fix Early MBP 2008?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickC1028, Jun 1, 2011.

1. NickC1028 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Just had a question for you guys who know much more than me :eek::D

I bought a 2.5 Core 2 Duo, 4 gig ram, GT 8800 512 ram, 7200 RPM HDD MBP in the early fresh in March 2008.

I have had 2 HD fails, and a logic board failure within the time period of my AppleCare and now seem to have a bigger problem..
    I was on the laptop one day, and just let it stay a while till it put itself to sleep (no pun intended), now when I start it the screen does not turn on nor does the lights of the keyboard respond to caps lock. The MBP makes a noise that it is on, and when press the off button it continues to hum a little bit. The Apple Genius Bar told me it was most likely the CPU/Motherboard. It would be a flat fee of about 287$ to fix this computer..

Do you think I should fix it or sell it for parts? Thanks so much for your time, I really appreciate any feedback that is given. This was my first Mac purchase! :apple::apple::apple::);)

2. xriderx11 macrumors regular

Ya... Just sell it and buy a new one... The new MacBooks are nicer

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

3. NickC1028 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the fast response! So fix and sell it? Or sell as non-functional?

4. NickC1028 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else have an opinion?

Xrider doesn't own a mac yet! Hope you convince your family :p

5. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

If you have the technical know-how, part it out and you may be able to get a decent amount. Selling it defunct, especially without knowing the exact problem, is going to yield you very little. People buy broken computers because they know how to fix them - if they're gonna spend time fixing it, they're not gonna pay much for it.

What I'd do:
    Put it on craigslist broken(at an inflated price), see what kind of offers you get. If you're happy with any of the offers, take it.
    If you don't get offered enough, part it out and sell the parts on eBay or here in the Marketplace.

edit: I think I'd pay the $287 and get it fixed, then sell it for a new model. You'll take more than a loss of $287 trying to sell it broken. Mac2sell rates it around $1000 to sell, you might get a bit less than that fixed, you'd be lucky to get $500 for it broken.

6. NickC1028 thread starter macrumors member

I just wanted to bump this to see if anyone else had any advice on fixing it or just selling

UPDATE on MBP: After 2 months of not using it, it turned on fine and was actually at the same sleep screen it was at before it never turned on... Then it stopped working 2 days later.. Does that indicate not a serious problem or a serious one?

7. alexxn macrumors regular

8. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

was this the early 2008 mbp? if it is, it might be covered under the nvidia graphics issue...

not sure if that was only for the 8600 GPU... but u should def. make sure. if it is the GPU, u can get the mobo replaced by apple for free and sell it on ebay. or if the genius is nice, i've read that some people get a replacement machine (unibody)

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would call Apple Care and tell them about your issues, my experiences with Apple Stores are less than mediocre and it would take them weeks to even diagnose the problem. The Service Centers are dealing with hundreds of machines every day and can diagnose, fix and ship it back to you within days. Yes, I had a MBP replaced with the Late 2008 MBP because of multiple problems so I'd give Apple Care a call just in case. Otherwise, I would have yours fixed and then sell it asap.