Should I Fix Old G4 Powerbook Running Tiger

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kngelv, Nov 10, 2013.

1. kngelv macrumors member

My parents are currently using my old G4 1.25 Powerbook that is running Tiger. I think one of the RAM sticks went bad as it is only showing 256mb instead of 512mb.It is terribly slow right now. I am giving them my 2010 MBP 15". I am thinking of replacing the RAM with two 1GB sticks and giving it to my six year old. He mostly plays flash games like on the LEGO site and watches YouTube videos. Do you think this will work ok or am I just wasting time and money? Thanks.

James

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Use Google to verify, but are you sure it is not the RAM slot itself? There were some models which had relatively common failure of lower memory slot. If you have tested the stick in another machine or tried switching slots then OK, maybe it's not that.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

It depends on just how intensive the Flash sites are. Flash is resource heavy enough to bog down a PowerMac G5 and of course PowerPC Macs no longer get Flash updated.

There's a hack to trick websites into thinking you are running the latest version of Flash, but it doesn't make the plugin the latest.

My son has a 1Ghz Titanium DVI with 1GB of ram on Leopard and he deals with Flash sites ok. But he's not hitting any real intenst Flash sites. If your son is like mine (mine is 8) you should be ok, especially if you increase RAM.

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

You're a dad doing it right lol. My kids will be getting Apple stuff when they are young! My tech interest didn't kick off till I was 12.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

LOL! I have a picture of my son at about 6 months holding a keyboard. He wanted to do what I was doing, LOL!

I got my first computer when I was 10 in 1980. Old TRS-80 CoCo. Life changed at that point! :D

6. RedCroissant Suspended

Once I get some more iBooks(hint, hint) I'm going to make sure they're all running the same OS, and have a script at boot to say my kids' names. That way, they'll each have their own iBook and the Leaptops can go somewhere else!!!

They already love the iOS devices that I have ad might sell soon, so I better have a transition ready for them.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

LOL! Soon, soon. There's a PowerMac in my future too that I've been waiting for. :D

8. RedCroissant Suspended

And it shall all be awesome.

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I concur! ;)