Should I fix or replace my 2008 Mac book pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by determined09, May 13, 2013.

1. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I have a 2008 Mac book pro 15". I take it to the genius bar because it was shutting down suddenly. The first problem that I had was the ethernet port went out. I just brought a ethernet to USB port for 30 dollars instead of paying $ 310 to replace the port and the logic board. Now they are saying my hard drive is bad. It's going to cost 161.00 Is it a good idea to replace the had drive or should I wait until after the upgrade? My concern is a lot people are having a lot of problems with the new Mac book pros.

2. Jameson.Kusch macrumors newbie

You can just buy and replace the hard drive yourself. It's really simple. The whole process takes about 10 minutes. Only thing you have to worry about is re-installing everything.

3. SMDBill macrumors 6502

If you don't fix it, you have a non-working device with little remaining value. If you do fix it you can sell it for some value and buy a newer or brand new computer. Even if the new one has issues, with Applecare you may not worry as much. The sale of your old machine will more than cover Applecare and a chunk of the proce for a new machine.

Hard drive replacement is easy, and not so expensive if you just go with the same size yours came with to keep it "stock" spec-wise.

4. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

I put a ssd in my 2008 mbp and gave it new life.

5. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

I don't have all of the programs that came ore installed in this laptop

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

People are having a lot of problems with new Macbook Pros?

No they are not.

You're reading a forum where the whole point is people post problems. If you were to read a forum of everyone who is happy with them you would think much differently. Don't think because you see a lot of problems here that they have a lot of problems.

If you do decide to replace the hard drive yourself you can just clone and not worry about reinstalling everything. Check out Carbon Copy Cloner.

Personally I'd buy a new one. It's 5 going on 6 years old. That's a long life cycle for a computer and in my eyes time to upgrade. Obviously your decision though.

7. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You should fix the hard drive because at least then it will be worth more if you sell it because you can prove that it's a working laptop.

9. idunn macrumors 6502

Hard drive resurrection

First, you can transfer all the contents of the existing hard drive to a new one. Or, well, you could, save apparently that existing is now not working. If that on it was really critical, there are outfits that at a cost may be able to retrieve this data. Otherwise, this is academic.

As to whether a 2008 MBP is worth resurrecting is more a personal matter. Apple will likely tell you it is not, or that your computer is basically obsolete. New Macbook Pros will run circles around it in performance. But as mentioned by others, replacing but the hard drive is a simple and fairly inexpensive process. So, it may be worth it to you, if in no more than having this for now and then later as a backup.

Save the retinas, with the possibility of several Version A glitches, you'll be fine with a new MBP. Anything mid-2012 or newer should suite you fine; and do not overlook the option of buying a refurbished unit from Apple (being a good value, and reliable).

If deciding on a new hard drive, that similar to that existing would be the least costly. But as good SSDs of 256GB can be had for less than $200, you might seriously consider that option. If so, you'll not only resurrect your MBP but see it more sprightly than ever before: it would prove more than necessary repair, and a big improvement.

Enough so you might contemplate holding on to that believed 2008 for some time to come. Although do consider what a new model could do for you.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Early or Late-2008 (unibody) MacBook Pro? If it was the latter, $310 is extremely cheap to basically get a "new" MacBook Pro because I'm sure you could still sell the unibody for at least $800 if not more depending on your area.

11. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

late 2008 unibody. Now the battery is giving me problems. The battery is good until about 30% left and that's when I get the message service battery and so is the usb to ethernet port also. I'm when if the logic board is bad on this macbook pro?

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think it's a no brainer that you should take the $310 logic board repair. After that, you'll have to decide whether or not you'll want to keep the Macbook Pro or sell it for whatever it can go for and get a new one.

13. determined09, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

thanks
    the wifi on the computer works better than using the USB to ethernet connector.

now the computer is saying that the battery is just fine. I've using the Wifi now with not problems. Okay I'll have the logic board replaced.

14. rpb138 macrumors newbie

Your decision?

Hi Determined09, I was wondering what your final decision was? Did you get a new Macbook Pro or replace the hdd? Are you satisfied with the decision?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a late 2008 15" Macbook Pro and my HDD recently died. I'm kinda leaning toward replacing the hard drive myself, but not sure if I should just shell out the extra money for a new laptop. My battery doesn't hold a charge that long and I'm wondering what's next to go.

Thanks!

15. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

I replaced the hard drive. The battery still isnt holding a charge for long. There is another option for repairs. That was mentioned to me the first time that I went to the Genius Bar. There's a flat rate fee $310. They ship it off and they look the whole computer over. Anx fix anything they find for $310. If I'm not mistaken.

But I'm still thinking about replacing it. I'm wanting for haswell (sp?).