Should I fix the Superdrive in my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mheggen, Apr 8, 2008.

1. mheggen macrumors newbie

The quote from the local shop is about $330 (because they won't let me find and order the cheapest replacement drive).

Or should I just buy an external drive? Space isn't an issue - I only use the Superdrive at home on my desk. Does the MBP superdrive offer something more than, say, a $100 external replacement?

2. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I'm in the same boat. I just bought one off ebay for $99 andim doing it myself. He'll its cheaper to just buy a MBA SuperDrive and take that apart and stick it in your mbp than what they offer.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't know that there are any external replacements. The external MBA drive does NOT work with MBP. The MBA has extra juice in its USB port to power the Superdrive.

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I would go for the external, since mobility isn't an issue. It will be cheaper than $330, plus lower temps with an external. Good luck on your decision. :)

5. mashinhead macrumors 68020

yes I know that what that's not what I was saying. That part on ebay usually cost$150. And from an online parts vendor $250 plus installation. Apples SuperDrive is $99 the cheapest and the same part. So its cheaper for you to buy one of those open it up abd put it in your computer youself

6. darthmullet macrumors member

i had the same issue... internal drive stopped burning dvds consistently. I switched over to a USB2.0 LG drive which was about $60 and has better specs (faster, handles more media types). True, I have to be plugged in to burn disks; but really, when are you burning a disk when you can't be plugged in?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

where are you located? I'll do it for you for 50. You bring the superdrive. :)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod