Should I fix this MBP, or buy new?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Green2Delta, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Green2Delta macrumors member

First I'd like to say that I'm not a mac user, but I'd like to become one (the only apple product I own at the moment is an iPod touch). Now, I have the oppertunity to buy a broken MacBook Pro for relatively cheap, but I'm curious to know how much cash I would have to lay down to get this thing working. Given the problems mentioned in the ad I posted below, I would assume I would need to get new hardware (processor, motherboard, RAM, hard drive). Am I on the right track thinking this? Or am I way off? Anyone know how much fixing this would set me back, or if it would just be better to get a new one.

The ad in question:
    Not sure if this would be a hardware fix or not. TIA

2. Castaway macrumors newbie

Castaway

From the pictures, apart from the hard disk being dead, I don't think there's anything else wrong with this one.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Hard to tell for sure, but that doesn't look like that much damage to be causing anything serious. Maybe the hard drive is just dead?

Kind of a gamble, but if you can boot up from the CD like that, it would seem like 99.9% of the computer is working fine.

I wonder if you could install OS X to an external drive? Probably kind of hard to get the seller to do to much, or they might realize that THEY should fix it...

At that price, I think you could part it out and still break even. it's going to cost you about $200 total for a charger and battery, but you are still under $1,000 for vs $2,500+ for a new (faster) 17". If the hard drive is bad, it will cost another $120-$150.

Assuming the guy is on the up-and-up, and if you can afford it, I would go for it at that price...

4. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

That is so ****ing lucky.

It just needs a hard drive. Had the same problem with my powerbook that I got for cheap.

if you dont buy it i will.