SHOULD I? - For Early 2011 MBP - Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kptm14, Jul 15, 2015.

1. kptm14 macrumors newbie

Hello There,

I previously upgraded to yosemite, but like everyone, i ran into so many problems that i had to go through the excruciating pain of restoring the old backup.

Ever since i have been skeptical of upgrading due to the pain of downgrading and restoring of old back up.

The problems i ran into initially with yosemit were : - (with 16gb ram)

• slow start up
    • excessive use of ram as i started the macbook (LAGGING)
    • Spolight issues
    I have an Early 2011 macbook pro (16gb ram)

Can you guys confirm that above issues were resolved with the same model. Or will i still run into similar issues. I want to save my self going through the process of restoring and downgrading.

Kind Regards

KP

MacBook Pro Early 2011, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), with 16gb ram

2. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

My 2011 17" run perfect on Yosemite, and now on El Capitan, ....... I see no reason why yours shouldn't.

3. kptm14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now the main difference i see between your mac and mine is the SSD, could this be a factor that can possibly bring about the above issues i faced?

4. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I am running a 2011 17" with 8gb ram and stock 750gb 5,400 rpm. It runs the latest OS and runs about the same as it did with earlier versions. Compared to a similar spec PC (my wife's) it runs the same programs much faster but compared to the newest all solid state rMBP it is about as fast as cold syrup so its kinda all relative.

Maybe an example would help... I will time opening garage band, basically stock, i made 1 ringtone on it (17 seconds) and iMovie, with several home movies in it, about 90 seconds.

Is that about what you are getting?

edit.. my sig says 16gb ram but it was switched back to stock apple ram

5. kptm14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i downgraded after i encountered the issues, so didn't really time how long it takes to open applications.

6. prisstratton, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

It seem’s as if everyone is having different issues with Yosemite. Some people have no problems at all and would therefore urge you to upgrade and others are having numerous problems.

I recently tried to move to 10.10.4 from 10.9.5 and I was not very thrilled with the experience. The interface as a whole was laggy (please do not forget that this is MY experience, you may not see the same), Safari + WiFi was just awful (some web pages would take 45 seconds to load when selected from top sites).

I gave it four days and after that I was so totally frustrated with the WiFi + Safari performance, that I switched back to Mavericks. The difference was like night and day, everything was snappy again and WiFi + Safari performance was great with pages loading instantly.

I have been testing the public beta of 10.11 and so far the WiFi + Safari is better than Yosemite, but still not up to the snappy response I get in Mavericks.

The experiences seem to be all over the place. So, someone telling you that you should have no problem just because they do not, is no recommendation.

If you decide to upgrade then make sure you have a good backup before proceeding.

Hope it helps.

7. kptm14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Prisstratton,

I actually took the chance and upgraded, and so far, it seems the issues have been resolved and its performing relatively well. I haven't ran into any issues as of yet, but that doest mean i will not encounter them.

But so far so good.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have an early 2011 13' with Yosemite in the first day it was release. I've upgraded to SSD + HDD in optical bay. No issue whatsoever.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point if you're hesitant to upgrade to Yosemite, why not wait for 10.11? It should be out in a couple of months.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Sounds like hard drive issues to me.