Should I forget about the MBP? Is iPAD PRO replacing MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Apr 4, 2018.

1. hajime, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018

hajime macrumors 601

Hello, I have been postponing the purchase of MBP for two years due the butterfly keyboard and lack of Nvidia GPU support. My work has been affected as my MBP 2010 is not powerful enough to do the work I need. I plan to buy the MBP 2018 this summer but with the recent announcement of Apple possibly ditching Intel CPUs as soon as 2020 and the continuing investment on making powerful iPad PRO what apps cannot catch up as well as making iOS apps running across iPad, iPhone and the Mac, I am concerned that Apple is going to replace MBP with iPad PRO. If that is the case, they may not put i9 in up-coming MBP. Just like the Mac Pro, they may not even release new MBP 15" until 2020 with their own ARM based CPU. Moreover, even i9 MBP is available for sale this summer, it will be obsolete because the MBP line will be taken over by iPad PRO line in 1.5 years. How likely will this happen?

I use MBP because of its excellent keyboard and it allows me to install Mac OS, Windows and Linux all in one laptop. If Apple ditches Intel CPUs, does that mean we will not be able to run Windows and Linux natively? I will have to give up MBP then.

Let's not take Apple's lack of interest in putting Nvidia GPU in their laptops into consideration as it is not going to happen in a few years.

2. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If you think that the butterfly keyboard is a problem, you are in for a world of hurt trying to use iPad keyboards or trying to type on glass. So, the answer lies in what you are planning to do with this machine. If you (or your livelihood) is going to depend on typing heavily, then look for a machine suitable for that - Mac or PC. If you are looking for passive media consumption, then other devices are good. At the end of the day, a computer is a tool you will use to navigate life. Do not treat it as a cult or a religion to adhere to with personal sacrifices.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

It is not for media consumption but mainly for serious programming, simulations, writing and CAD design work.

I enjoy typing on the virtual keyboard of the iPad PRO 12.9". It is fun to type using two fingers. I have no plan to buy an external keyboard for it.