Should I Fragment My iMac HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bazza01, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Bazza01 macrumors member

I have a 3TB internal HD which has 512GB of SSD.

Am I supposed to fragment this drive? I have had the Mac for over a year.

Recently it was nearly full but I have moved all media to an external HD which has reduced the content on the internal HD to about 180GB.

Just not sure if I'm supposed to fragment as I seem to recall reading that a SSD should not be fragmented.

Thanks for your advice.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think you meant "de-frangment", not "fragment". If so just don't worry about it. SDD changes things because there is not physical head movement not rotational latency. Just leave it be.

3. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

To build on what @ChrisA said, SSDs don't have a fragmentation problem, yes, but it's not a problem with OS X like it is with Windows. OS X actually takes care of the defragmentation process for you, so you don't have to worry about it.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Even modern Windows systems are better. The concept of "de-fragmenting" was invented when Windows was still using a FAT file system on hard disks. No, actual;;y it was invented before Windows, back when DOS ran on floppy disks that used FAT. The results of de-fragging a DOS floppy was dramatic. It could double the apparent speed.

With an SSD on any OS you would get longer life by NOT de-fraging the SSD. An SSD only has some many writes to it before it fails and defanging likely does more writes than normal use. But don't worry they last a long time

5. Bazza01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for your replies.

ChrisA - Yes, I did mean Defrag :D

I will leave as is.

Thank you.