Should I fully switch over?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ebd.i.am, Jan 28, 2008.

?

Which Machine?

1. Macbook Pro

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. iMac

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Macbook Air

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. ebd.i.am macrumors 6502

ebd.i.am

I currently have a custom built PC thats a tad outdated (2.4Ghz 939 Dual Core, 2GB DDR400, 500Gbs in Raid0, and my recent upgrade a HD2900PRO).
    This is my main machine for college/studying, surfing the web, listening to music, watching videos, and gaming.
    I did have a Macbook about a year ago that I bought for college but I eventually sold it because I didn't seem to use it as much as I thought I would.
    Now however Im thinking of totally ditching windows and converting over to os x completely.

I did love the os interface, apple hardware, and everything about it.
    It was so much better using the macbook for my daily computer needs except whenever I got the urge to game a little.
    The games I usually will play are Steam games (ie - CSS, TF2, etc..), COD4, UT3, WoW.
    I found myself more on my desktop PC when I'd rather be on the Macbook even when I was not gaming.
    I guess I didn't like switching back and forth between computers/OS. I just want one main machine for all my needs.

Now I am a bit tired and fed up with windows and my machine that takes up a lot of desk space creating a lot of noise from all its fans.
    My dilemma is whether I should get rid of my desktop all together and get a Macbook Pro or even a iMac since those machines should be able to handle the games I enjoy right?.
    OR Keep my desktop for gaming and go the ultra portable way with the Air?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. ebd.i.am thread starter macrumors 6502

ebd.i.am

The MB dosnt have the better gpu like the MBP does, which is why I'd prefer a MBP or iMac since they have dedicated video cards.

4. McGiord, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I was always used a desktop mac, since 1986 until 2006.

Since then the portability has been very addictive to me, and is a MB that I bought just ot have a Mac with me and it was supposed to be my wife's mac until I safe some money to get an iMac or Mac Pro...well I changed my mind after one year: I am eagerly waiting for the new MBP to be released soon.

For playing your games the MBP video card its superior to the MB and you can connect it to a big screen TV or Monitor anytime with the proper cable.

If you do the math and don't care about the lack of portability, I believe the 24" iMac it's a good option more bang for the buck in terms of processor and video experience.
    ________
    Yamaha YZ250

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I voted mbp because it should handle gaming as well as the iMac and it will provide you with portability all the same. Plus, if you keep your current display you'll be able to enjoy a larger screen for gaming. :)

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Get a PS3 or a 360 if you want to game. Then you're free to get the best computer that fits your life.

7. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

How potable are you really going to be?

If the MBP is just gonna sit on your desk then get an iMac. If you are gonna be portable a lot then get the MBP and plug it into an external display for gaming.

(Personally I went for an iMac with a second hand MacBook for when ever I need to be portable.)

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Another vote for the MBP. In fact that's what I use mine for - wasted a few hours last night playing TF2!

9. ebd.i.am thread starter macrumors 6502

ebd.i.am

I have both systems already, hehe.
    I just like having the option of having a PC if I want to play a game that has only been released for one platform.
    But it seems that most games released now a days are cross platform for the 360, PS3 & PC.

I probably will be at my desk most of the time, but I would like the option of mobility around the house. If i got a MBP i dont think i would take it too often outside the house to school or else where.

What resolution/settings do you run TF2 at?
    What Frames per second do you get, is it fairly smooth?

10. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Sounds like you'd get a better deal with an iMac then. It's easier to get larger hard drives in them.

1440x900 native res, all settings on high, but with no AA. It looks stunning, you do get some tearing occasionally, but its not really noticeable because you are too busy trying to frag people :)