should i get 13 macbook air or wait for 13 retina macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxcysxx, Sep 11, 2012.

  1. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

    Oct 12, 2011
    hello folks,
    i'm looking to get a new laptop to replace my early 2011 i7 macbook pro 13 due to weight reason. i've been reading up on all the hype about the up coming 13 inch retina macbook pro and i must admit i'm quite excited about it every time i see news or discussions about it. i also have high expectation of apple quality and craftsmanship on their equipment, and my excitement for this new laptop has risen that expectation even more. but as we all understand high expectation standards can lead to some heavy disappointments when things doesn't turn out the way we hope it should be, and i have been through many situation like this before when i'm overly excited about a toy i'm going to get then later to find out that certain things in it doesn't work the way it should, and ended up doing all the run around to get exchange and after exchange. it's miserable and depressing. and when i finally get that ideal one i was like "you have no idea how much i paid for you and what i have to go through to get to you", and then i don't even want to touch it or look at it in a wrong way cause i'm afraid i might jinx it again. lol.

    then i was reading through all the issues with the 15 rmbp, issues like about scroll stutter and not smooth enough here and there. oh, but don't forget what the hype and excitement is about here, its about the screen and the high price favor is for the screen. it's not just a laptop, its eye candy, and when it's doesn't perform its heart breaking. and the crash of that high expectation later feeds it. a buyer remorse!

    i think we are all excited about it, but let's face the reality. laptop retina technology needs to mature more for better overall integration.
    so what do you think? worth it to wait for the 13 inch retina and chance myself for an ideal one, or should i just get a new macbook air that has been well proven and developed.
    sure, there's a hit and miss on the air as well, but i feel it is still a much lower rate of remorse than the 13 inch retina.
  2. fedecape macrumors 6502


    Oct 23, 2011
    Miami, FL
    you talked about the weight.. the MacBook Air is and will always be lighter than any other MacBook.
  3. SlyMac macrumors 6502


    Jun 16, 2008
    There have been issues with the rMBP 15. I'd imagine that Apple could apply knowledge gained from these issues in their release of a 13" version.

    As far as which one you should get, its entirely based on your needs. Nobody, no matter how much detail given in posts, can decide what is best for you. If you think you need more power and its worth the potential headache of a 1st gen product, wait. If not, grab an air.
  4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030


    Jul 12, 2011
    Location: and
    Wat about waiting for the 13" MBA retina? I'm waiting on the 11" to go retina even tho I just bought the current 13" MBA.
  5. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502


    Aug 15, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois, Crooks County
  6. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 18, 2010
    Only a mental defective would not wait.

    There can't be more than eight ounces difference in weight between an Air and a Retina.

    The difference will be price and nothing else unless Apple surprises us by putting a quadcore processor in the Retina.
  7. xxcysxx thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 12, 2011
    The weight of both the air and retina is definitely within my ball park of interest. Heck, my 13 mbp is about 6 pounds! How the heck does it gain this much weight. I've only added an ssd, 16fb of ram, a terabyte hdd and caddy, a speck hard case and a screen protector. I need a laptop diet for this wimpy shoulder of mine.

    Price point isnt much of a concern since I want the best possible processor and highest amount of ram they can fit in there anyway, and im prepare to accept that kind of premium. It's just that I can get the air tomorrow and the retina, well, maybe two to three months after release. I want to learn of all the issues and compromises so I can prepare my mindset to accept and deal with it. This is just to lessen the impact of a remorse.

    Apple make great equipments, and they know exactly how much we will let them get away with.
  8. fleawannabe macrumors regular

    Dec 16, 2011
    You should wait for the rMBP 14" with a 8core processor. It is coming out sometime.
  9. \-V-/ Suspended


    May 3, 2012
    We don't know what Apple's putting in the 13" yet. Just wait.
  10. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    You've already got a 13" mbp, so you might as well wait for October to see if there is going to be a 13" rMBP.

    If there's not going to be one released, there's a chance you may see some 2012 MBA's up on the refurbed store by then.

Share This Page