Should i get 2015 13MBP or the 15MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarcMonty, Mar 19, 2015.

1. MarcMonty macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

First post, go easy on me.

I am looking to buy a new MBP but i see there is two models, a new updated 13MBP and the current 15MBP ( both retina ) .

I want something that is powerful for video editing and running graphics programmes in the future.

I have no idea about processors etc, and i would like to know if the 15mbp quad core is faster than the new 13mbp dual core ? I dont care much for the new trackpad features so thats not a deciding factor. I get the impression the older pros are better built than the new apple products.

look forward to replys :)

MM

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Get the 15", without a doubt.

The Iris Pro GPU in the 15" is far better, plus the quad core is at least twice as fast as the 3.1GHz i7 offered in the 13".

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on your needs, the 15" offers the best bang for your buck, imo. It has a better processor, and GPU and more real screen estate

4. MarcMonty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys,

i just need to decide which 15mbp and what spec to get now.

Fast responses appreciated :)

MM

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you want a discrete GPU (best performance) or the base line. I think the base model should be fine for your stated needs, but if you're going to get into a lot of video editing, then the dGPU will be better.

6. MarcMonty thread starter macrumors newbie

I will probably go with the £2k base model , i intend to keep it for a long time so i want it to run intensive programs in the future and have a good bit of power.

Thanks for your reply.

MM

7. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

If you're gonna keep it for a long time then I suggest getting the model with the dGPU.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Then you'd better wait for Apple to release the Broadwell-H/Skylake-H rMBPs.

Intensive programs can benefit from the presence of a dGPU.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

By the same token, given Apple's track record with dGPUs, avoiding it may be a better option. Given the near consistent high failure rate of dGPUs in earlier MBPs, its enough to scare me aware.

----------

The iGPU in Broadwell is purported to be much better then what's available now, so if the OP can wait (and chooses the iGPU only model), then he'll definitely benefit from the newer chipset. If he chooses the dGPU, that will help as well, but people tend to complain that apple doesn't pick the fastest or best dGPU out on the market.