Should I Get 8GB RAM on New 15"Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMonkey13, Nov 13, 2010.

1. MacMonkey13 macrumors member

I've decided to purchase a new 15" MacBook Pro with the 2.4GHz processor. Is it worth it to get the 8GB RAM over the standard 4GB?

This will be my "main" computer (I have an iPad and an old iMac), but my main uses are really only internet browsing, wordprocessing and email. I know this machine may be overkill, but I want the larger screen.

Also, what screen is recommended? Matte or Glossy? Hi-Def or Std?

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You are definitely going to want as much RAM as you can get, but don't buy it from Apple. You can get it way cheaper from third parties and it's a no brainer to install.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4GB will suffice, and upgrading RAM outside of Apple's offers will save you a lot of money.

I prefer Anti-Glare and High-Res, but I have a 17" MBP, thus I wouldn't go back to 1440 x 900, it is quite small.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your described usage could get by with only 2gb of ram or less. Don't bother.

OS X doesn't have resolution independence like Windows does, so on the hi-def screens fonts will look smaller. If you have poor eyesight I would not recommend it.

5. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Are you going to run windows on this? At work we use 8g because I dedicate ram to the windows side for CAD but still need ram to support CAD on the Mac side as well. Probably overkill for you.

6. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Well, if all you are going to do is surf the net and check email, then that might be true. But RAM is so ridiculously cheap now and can make such a huge difference in performance in a variety of situations, it would be silly not to add it, IMHO

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Like I said, I posted this according to what the OP said he would be doing on his computer.

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Get the 8GB upgrade, don't buy it from Apple though. It takes 10 minutes to install and I recommend buying it from:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

OWC will also give you a rebate on your original 4GB of Apple RAM.

9. MacMonkey13 thread starter macrumors member

While saving $$$ is great, I've never installed RAM into a laptop let alone opened one up. It kinda scares me.

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

OP, it really doesn't sound like you need 8GB of RAM at this time. If you decide to upgrade in the future if you need it, it might even be cheaper. I'd stick with 4GB for now. I'd go for the high-res antiglare screen.

11. acurafan macrumors 6502a

keep the 4gb, but buy a sandforce ssd; then your mbp will blow any other laptop out of the water.

12. wnorris, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

wnorris macrumors member

wnorris

If your usage will not change in the near future you definitely should just wait as I seriously doubt you will use the 4GB that comes standard. I have the same system and upgraded the RAM to 8GB myself and have yet to need the full 8GB. I use Parallels frequently running either Ubuntu or Win 7 and can give OS X 2GB and the VM 2GB (before upgrade) and did not notice any lag in OS X or the VM. Both OSs run very smooth. Although if you are like me you should just get the 8GB as it will drive you crazy thinking about it. :)

Installing RAM in the unibody models is extremely easy and you will save $ and learn a few things about your system at the same time. Just search Youtube for some videos beforehand and you can upgrade your RAM in 15 mins.

13. cube macrumors G5

If your workload uses only up to 4 GiB of RAM the other 4 GiB will be wasted.

14. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Not that long ago I was just like you. In the past few months I've upgraded my wife's RAM and my hard drive.

OWC has TONS of great videos - believe me, it's VERY easy, and you'll save HUNDREDS of $$$

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

All you need is the right tools - http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accessories/Tool_Sets

15. Tempto macrumors member

For your described uses, 4gb RAM is definitely enough.

16. cube macrumors G5

There are now some brand new 8 GiB SO-DIMMs.

So maybe it will be possible to fit 16GB in an HM55 Core i5, Core i7.

Another point in favour of just going with 4GB to start with for these machines.

17. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

It's as scary as baking an egg ...

18. tekksan macrumors regular

I put 8GB Ram in my 2010 i5 2.4Ghz and you really only notice a difference if using VMWare. That cost $150

For $50, I swapped the HDD that came with it (320GB/5400RPM) with this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=hitachi_travelstar-_-22-145-361-_-Product

increased from 320GB/5400 to 500GB/7200RPM for only $50 and I noticed a lot bigger difference in performance.

I'd say keep it at 4GB and get a new hdd. There is also a Seagate Momentus XT drive that is a 'hybrid' of 7200RPM and SSD that is pretty awesome but of course it costs more...something like $130.

My $.02

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

4GB's enough for you, OP.
    Oh and P.S. RAM installing's not hard at all. I did it earlier in the week on my MBP and I'm 13 :p

20. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Lots of places have been having good deals on 8gb kits. I picked up one from buy.com earlier this week for $114.99. An ssd will give you more seat of the pants performance though.

21. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you can afford it go for it. Might provide a little resale value in a couple of years.