should i get a 23" ACD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maugustyn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Maugustyn macrumors newbie

I am getting a new mac pro and need a screen for it. i want something HD and do like the look of the ACD's. any opinions are great.

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

ACD don't support HDCP. plus they are super outdated, and super overpriced.

have you checked out the HP's? a lot of board members here use the 24 inchers and love it.

3. itou macrumors regular

valid points.
    but the cinema displays are just so beautiful. :)

4. Maugustyn thread starter macrumors newbie

hey i know alot about computer/mac specs but nothing about monitors so simple is good for this. HDCP ( if thats right) is what the ability to atach a blueray player? and good looking alternatives are great too.

5. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

HDCP is what lets the blueray player send out a HD stream. It just means that the stream is encrypted, so you woudn't be able to record the stream. If you don't have HDCP, you *might* be forced to watch a lower quality image (ICT).
    Not that any pirate would capture the stream, just decode the data using a key and play it with vlc or something.

6. macboy62 macrumors regular

macboy62

I'm trying to figure this HDCP thing out too. Many people have mentioned it and Display Port. But I have a 40" TV and playstation to watch BluRay on do I really need HDCP on a computer monitor?

Does it have anything to do with producing home HD movies?

I don't have a HD camcorder yet but ya never know in the future...

7. Funky007 macrumors newbie

8. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

9. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

The Apple Cinema Displays are certainly not current designs, but they are not overpriced. With the 23" for $900, you get an IPS panel which is the best there is! You cannot find a comparable screen quality for any less money. If you want better, you'll have to spend about $1100 for NEC's new 24" IPS monitor (look for an "i" at the end of NEC's model name to identify those with IPS panels.) If you don't want to pay $900 for the 23" ACD then.... monitors with S-PVA panels can be had for significantly less and do offer some outstanding (nearly comparable to IPS) performance.

I recently bought an HP LP2465 and find it to be an superb monitor... gorgeous 24" very neutral grey image quality straight out of the box (amazingly enough, I didn't even need to touch it and it looks as well calibrated as my existing monitor that is well calibrated)... not a lot of input options on this particular model (just DVI and VGA), but outstanding image quality, outstanding warranty, outstanding customer service. About $550 or so for a very high quality S-PVA display.

Do some homework and you'll find some great options out there.

10. Maugustyn thread starter macrumors newbie

11. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

for the price, yes.

i was in the same boat and eventually opted for a samsung syncmaster 225BW (22"), for about 350 with shipping and never looked back. for about 65 bucks more you can get the 24" version. its simple and sleek enough to look good without being an ACD

mine goes up to 1680x1050 with HDCP

12. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

this is true, really quality IPS with the ACD if money isnt an issue

13. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

remember also that despite a lack of rumours, many think the acd's are due an update or price drop

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

To the OP: You don't want anything close to this setup. A 22" has the same res as a 20" panel (1680x1050), so it's not as sharp as it could be. Def go for a 20", a 23"/24", or a 30". Anything else is going to have the res of a smaller panel, and that's just...yuck.

15. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

Listen to what I'm going to say... if you want a SUPERB 24" display (uses Samsung's S-PVA panel, same as Eizo uses in many of their monitors) from a company with the best reputation for quality, service, warranty (3 yrs, including backlight)... right now you can buy the HP LP2465 for around $550 AND get a $75 rebate! Don't wait or you'll lose the rebate deadline.

I MEAN IT"S GOT TO HAPPEN TODAY for the $75 rebate!

Google HP LP2465 and read the reviews...

This monitor for $475 (after rebate) performs nearly as well as Apple's 23" Cinema Display at $900!

Here's a good price source:

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/d...465 24 Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor-Monitors