Should I get a 24" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GhostDZ9, Sep 18, 2010.

1. GhostDZ9 macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

I am considering buying the 24" ACD, I am a college student and I do a lot of programming, mac and windows so would you guys suggest getting it?

I take my macbook back and forth to school and I find when I want to do my work there is never enough screen space

Also if you know of any place that is selling them for cheaper then 999 in Ontario, Canada that would be much appreciated

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

Well i called apple about the display they said if they can sell them then they get shipped back to apple with gets placed on the refurbished part for 699 so im not looking to spend more the 800

4. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

You'll be happy with a 24" I think, especially the 16:10. Even better since you can get the refurb for $700.

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

IMO, a college student's budget would be much better off with a similar offering from another OEM. Unless the Apple logo means that much to you, I'd take my money elsewhere :(

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

You could always opt for the cinemaview 24.. aesthetically it's the same as an ACD without the iSight, MacBook charger, Speakers, and IPS. I think it's like three or four hundred bones.. dunno what they're charging now

7. foodle macrumors 6502

Cinemaview 24" is not an equivalent product:
    - lower resolution (only 1920x1080)
    - 16:9 aspect ratio instead of 16:10
    - not IPS (just look at the lower viewing angle numbers)
    - lower brightness

So it's a significantly lower-grade display.

For the OP, I'd suggest either an ACD 24" refurb or going with another quality IPS display (Dell Ultrasharp U2410 or HP z2475w).

8. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

i never said it was an equivalent product
    if he's going to be doing programming and just looking at text, he doesn't exactly need the viewing angle of a $800 display

if he wants an aesthetic clone of it then the CV is an option for cheaper.

9. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I'd vote yes - check the refurbs. I recently purchased a 24" ACD refurb and love it; so far, flawless. Having an extra power supply now is a bonus.

10. xispec macrumors member

I'm trying to sell my 24" on craigslist now and seems like no one wants to even buy it even when I offer them it for 550. So frustrating but someone will bite...

11. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Go on craigslist and search for Apple 23" cinema display ( the aluminum ones with a matte finish)

You may have to drive around, and test several monitors (I tested 5 before finding a perfect one) , but hands down the aluminum series displays destroy the new LED one's

Make sure you test the monitor before buying,

1) test the monitor using this site http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
    2) open up a web browser and browse sites you normally browse
    Since you browse these sites often you will pick up fine details that
    you otherwise would have missed doing other tests

My brother uses 2 23" for artwork he purchased since 2005 and they are still working flawlessly

12. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I'm also considering the 24" ACD (refurb) for my new MP.

Is it possible to connect more than one computer to this display. The specs indicate just one Mini Display Port connector.

FWIW: I'm NOT interested in a matt display. Much prefer the glossy (non flat screen sparkle) display. :p

thanks
    JohnG

13. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

+1. I'm a college student as well and while I was considering these, I found other IPS screens for way cheaper. The monitors simply cost way too much for the same screen real estate and screen ratios as cheaper monitors that look just as nice (at least for a cash strapped college student such as myself).

14. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Unless you make a lot of money at school I would not buy an ACD. You can, as has been pointed out, get a very good monitor for far less from a different company. Anyways I don't think the ACD is HDCP compliant which may be an issue depending on the media you like to watch.

Cheers

15. foodle macrumors 6502

Just one input. You need a mini DP KVM or mux to connect >1 computer.

16. foodle macrumors 6502

24" ACD is HDCP compliant.

17. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

the main reason why i what the display is becuase i don't want to have to keep pulling out my charger everytime when im doing my programming work and i don't have enough screen space for all the windows i need to have open. that being said i think im just going to wait it out

18. jack92 macrumors newbie

19. brentsg macrumors 68030

Can't blame them when you can go straight to Apple for $599.

20. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Does anyone know if it's possible to hook up the 24" cinema display to a PC and still get the speakers and isight to work?

21. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

To get the video to work you need a Dvi to minidisplayport converter . I think the usb speakers and isight would work with a pc just as they work with a mac.