Should I get a 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MythicFrost, Jul 17, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey all, I currently have an iPod Touch 16GB 2nd gen, I don't use my phone that much yet, but I still want a better one.

Should I wait or not to see if any of the 3GS problems are fixed?

Like the poor battery, very bad radio reception, rattling noise in the phone.. etc..

I'm not sure what is hardware and software in terms of battery/radio...

Kind Regards

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

There will ALWAYS be issues and complaints, and therefore YOU should not get a 3GS.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hmmm... what?

Sure I know there will always be issues and complaints, but I want the 3GS, I just want a good battery and reception with it.. ?

Kind Regards

4. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Get it

If you want it, Get it.
    Go for it, what do you have to lose?
    If you decide it's not you then just Return. I believe you have 14 days or 30.

5. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

Mythicfrost,

I just recently switched from the 3g to the 3gs myself. And i've gotta say it, i read it somewhere here on a forum and now realize it myself that 3.0 needed the 3gs. When it comes to battery life, i don't see a problem, i also do heavy usage and today got over 7 1/2 hours of usage with constant texting, playing ipod, surfing on safari, having 3g on, wifi off and push on manual because of the wonders of mobile me. The radio reception as well depends on where you are, because some places even though they have 3g is extremely choppy. As for the build quality, thats an issue on apples qc end, although i must say they announced the whole warmer screen while introducing the phone which makes me laugh when everyone complains. But if you want a 3gs, the good thing is you'll always have connectivity whether it be edge or 3g but if you have an ipod touch and a phone and it works well for you, then its really up to personal preference, if its just to have it its not worth it.

6. paul100 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I do agree with tilmonabbott. The performance of the phone depends on the way you use it.

7. moka macrumors 6502a

8. akbc macrumors 6502

iPhone 3GS is a wonderful all-in-one device.

Is getting an iPhone 3G an option for you, too?

9. Que macrumors 6502

why do people want a battery that lasts for 6 weeks without a charge? if a battery lasts the time between leaving the house and getting home which for most people is about 8-10 hours then what's the problem?

10. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

Go for it!

People complain about the battery life, but it's not real effort to charge it every night. If you're somewhere other than home, there's a high likelihood of finding a USB port for charging...and if you use a mac or PC during the day you can top up your iPhone battery then.

The other issues are so so minor, and for a minority - I've not noticed any of them with my 3Gs.

You'll be so glad you bought it when/if you do!

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go for it, as others stated, there will always be people complaining about reception and battery life, regardless of which phone we're talking about.

12. iboy38 macrumors member

iboy38

Really, it's that simple? Do your get your security deposit back?

13. iOrlando macrumors 68000

its the best overall smart phone out there when taking into consideration itunes and all the apps. good value in my opinion. and you will see that you will begin to find uses for it that you initially didnt have, so you will end up using it more than your current phone.

14. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

if you do not want to wait till next year and it reallyy depends on how much you r going to pay. get it if you like it :)

15. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

if you dont use your phone much yet

then dont, wait for the 4th gen which should be coming around mid next year

but again, there's always a "need" and "just want"

if you need it, go for it, but if you just want it, then wait till 4th gen

16. wwwhatsup macrumors newbie

I would say yes :) I am going to buy one myself at the end of this month.

17. christyn macrumors 6502a

for every 1 person that complains, there's dozens more who have no complaints.

Where or not it's 'worth it' is individual.

Personally, I paid the early upgrade to get it and the speed difference alone was worth it. I have experienced non of the issues you are speaking of thus far.

18. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

19. chox99 macrumors regular

Hey, if you can afford it, you should buy what you like. My 3GS gave me no problems so far and most people don't complain when there's nothing wrong with their 3GS (hence, high number of 3GS complaints ratio in this forum):)

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Affordability, will always be the key factor.....

21. JP3G macrumors member

JP3G

If you need to ask complete strangers if you should get it or not, it feels like you're just trying to have that little push from people to make an impulse buy. If you're so unsure, don't do it. But if you want that push ... BUY IT , IT'S ***** AWESOME!!!11

22. lavinci macrumors 6502

23. megadon macrumors 6502

if you don't want a higher monthly bill, ( aka data for the phone) I say don't get it because the phone is cool, but I don't know if I would still get it if I wasn't getting the internet on it.. (you can't find wifi all the the time)

but if higher bill is no prob, get it, its pretty cool having the net at your fingertips all the time, and it's fast enough to do things properly now..

24. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon