Should I get a current gen MBA or wait for refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ChefDuJour, May 20, 2014.

  1. ChefDuJour macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2014
    #1
    Hi all,

    Longtime lurker but i need some opinions on buying a MBA. I currently have a 2007 black MacBook (i know, i know...its not THAT slow and still runs pretty smooth), but its definitely starting to show its age. I currently have a 500GB HD that 2/3 is filled with mostly music and movies.

    I've been reading about a potemtial upgrade to the rMBA coming sometime this year so i was wondering if i should wait and get one of the new ones coming out, or get one of the current gen models? It would be my primary machine so i would need it for Microsoft office, Photoshop and Aperture (all of which i currently have on my black macbook) in addition to streaming music and movies to my xbox360.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

    BenTrovato

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    Greetings Chef of the day! The answer is always the same... no one knows for sure what or when a new product will be released, they are just rumors.. MacRumors. If you need a new machine now, buy it. If you can afford to wait - wait.
     
  3. rewardsguy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2014
    #3
    The rMBA is rumored to have a 12" display. Personally I find that a bit too small for a main computer so I went with the recently updated 13" MBA. You may want to consider a rMBP if you're doing intensive work in Photoshop and Aperture since the processing power will be greater (at the expense of battery life).
     
  4. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2012
    #4
    I would wait because even if it turns out that the new models aren't exactly what you want, they'll still trigger a hefty discount on existing models as Apple and its resellers look to clear out inventory.
     
  5. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

    ioannis2005gr

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2013
    Location:
    Europe
    #5
    it depends on whether you need it now or not. Can you wait till late Q3 2014? yes? then, don't buy now.

    However, nobody can assure you that a new rMBA is coming this year! can you still wait? yes? no? ...
     
  6. Ann P macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #6
    Should I get a current gen MBA or wait for refresh?

    Since this will be your first update in a long time, I'd wait until at least Fall. You have nothing to lose. Even if the new release is a subtle update by then, you can get a discount on previous models.
     
  7. majkom macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #7
    Exactly.. what if new air will be in Q1-Q2 2015? still willing to wait? If I were u, wait till wwdc, if nothing is revealed - buy. If rMB air is introduced in Q4 2014 - u can still sell almost new mb air for good price and buy new retina air. Just my 2c.
     
  8. drsox macrumors 65816

    drsox

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    Location:
    Xhystos
    #8
    Clearly as per usual you will get NO real help from this forum.
    What does your gut say you really want to do ? Then do it - NOW.

    I just bought a new MBA to replace the 2011 MBA that I passed on to a family member.
    Great improvement.
    Even if a new, better one appears next month - who cares ?
     
  9. sostoobad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2011
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    Why wait, you have an older one so this would be a nice improvement and if it goes to 12" I would prefer the 13"...I currently have a 2013 13" Air and its great, the big improvement was the battery life...gives you all you really need
    Plus shop the refurb store and save $

    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13
     
  10. ChefDuJour thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2014
    #10
    Thanks everyone for your input....all are appreciated!

    My macbook isnt on its last leg thank to aftermarket upgrades (more memory, newer HD, etc) and proper care. So I guess I could at least wait until WWDC to hear of any news on a new MBA.

    But I would LOVE to get my hands on a rMBA if/when it comes out...i could only imagine it would feel similar to when I upgraded from the 4 to the 5s!

    ----------

    Excellent advice!

    Yes, i think i can wait until 3Q14 as long as my baby doesnt crap out (fingers crossed)

    One more question...does anyone have any input on getting the 256G vs. 512G? Like I said, i use my current macbook mainly as a media hub where i can stream my movies and music to my xbox360, along with Office, Photoshop, Aperture, etc.

    I should probably just get the 512 and use Time Machine to transfer all my stuff to the MBA, no?
     
  11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

    l.a.rossmann

    Joined:
    May 15, 2009
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    #11
    If you like what you have, keep it and wait for the new one.

    If you have something that does not work for what you need to do, screw waiting - buy a new one now.

    This is the only practical formula if you use your laptop to get work done.
     
  12. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #12
    There will be no hardware refresh to the MacBook Air this year. It will come in Q1/Q2 2015 with Broadwell CPU's.

    There's no way Apple will stuff a Haswell CPU in a thinner & lighter MacBook Air when the whole notebook is designed around the fanless Broadwell low power part.
     
  13. majkom macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #13
    Says who? Is that you, Mr. Cook?

    To OP: wait for 11 days, wwdc is coming. If nothing new appears, ask yourself, whether you want to wait another 3-6-9 months.
     
  14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #14
    I wouldn't get too excited about new hardware at a developers conference. The most you may see is the infamous iWatch concept in order to show developers what it can do ;)

    I know there has been new hardware before, such as the iPhone, but again that was the prime place to show off new tech.
     
  15. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #15
    I think for the last 2 years they always update or show new hardware, so wait for WWDC
     
  16. majkom macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #16
    Wwdc 2013 - new macbook air
     
  17. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #17
    That was just a minor refresh taking advantage of the Haswell chips that had been available for a while.

    Bearing in mind the MBA has just been updated a few weeks ago...
     
  18. majkom macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #18
    OK, so:
    2010 - iPhone 4 - redesigned product
    2011 - no HW
    2012 - MB air, MB pro with retina - i would say, hugely redesigned product
    2013 - MB air - refresh

    Saying that there wont be (for 100 percent sure) no new HW / no new MB air is, looking at last 4 years, prediction based on no past experience.
     
  19. kfury77 macrumors regular

    kfury77

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Osaka, Japan
    #19
    The chances of the Macbook Air getting an update at WWDC or anytime in the next few months are very, very, very slim. It was only updated on April 29th (with a small processor speed boost).

    They wouldn't have released this updated SKU and put out a press release if they had something to supersede this in just 2 months time.

    I actually just got a refurbished Macbook Air from the Apple Store - there's some great bargains on there.
     
  20. majkom macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #20
    Yes.. but wha tif apple introduces new macbook, retina display, not pro - with different name? Using IGZO, new haswell, as rumoured? If OP has no chance to return in 14 days period, it wont kill him to wait few days for wwdc.
     
  21. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    FL
    #21
    If I may add to this: what we know about Broadwell at the moment suggests you'll be very glad you waited. The boost in power and efficiency will be substantial. The integrated graphics will be a major upgrade and maybe all the space savings may allow you to purchase a MBA with 16GB of RAM.

    This will help ensure your purchase will be more "future proof" if you decide to keep the machine for another 6 years or so.
     
  22. ChefDuJour thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2014
    #22
    This! As you can clearly see...I'm all about preserving my electronics for as long as possible (i would still be using my iphone 4 if the screen didnt crack) so if i can get another 5-6 years out of my macbook air, i can wait.

    Thanks again everyone!
     
  23. silverf1re macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
    #23
    I'd wait.

    Id wait until the 2023 models are out. Its rumored there is going to be a total redesign with more GIGAFLOPHERTZRAM! Buying now is ensuring your product will devalue with time. :rolleyes:
     
  24. Plerf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 28, 2014
    #24
    I think you should wait until the WWDC keynote.

    New MBA Retina released: You can choose the new hotness, or buy the

    Nothing changes: you can rest assured the MBA Retina is months off (MBA just got a spec bump price drop, so it's likely new MBA are off in the future, waiting for Broadwell).
     

Share This Page