Should I get a Hardcase for my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squarecontainer, Aug 29, 2011.

1. squarecontainer macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm just received my first macbook pro 15" and would like to seek your opinion on the type of protective gear should I purchase for it :). I've been looking at cases (hard shell kinds), as well as fabrixcases, but I read on one of the forum that having a hardshell case traps the heat within the macbook - is it true?

In your opinion, should I get a hardshell case, or a fabrixcase? I currently have a neoprene sleeve that I got the in bundle and so far, it's been alright - just that sometimes i find my macbook too exposed and vulnerable, haha.

I will be bringing my mac to school - a design student over here, so usage of the mac is pretty high.

Thank you in advance! :)

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

yes. you should get it. most of the time you will be using the mac, and it will be out of the sleeve, exposed to things that can scratch and dent it.

in my informal tests of the 13" with the hardcase, i found no noticeable difference in heat between having the case on and off (see my thread somewhere in these forums). but, i suspect that extended heavy loads would change the results. i think it depends on your use. today, with light use, i've had the computer on for several hours and my cpu is chillin at 45 degrees.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the worse chance that ur macbook will get damaged will be when ur carrying it around , but u already got a sleeve for that

hard shell isnt completly necessary but if u think u need one get a speck one.

made a video on it

subscribe if you like lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYgKeYo7X0

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would.
    I recommend Speck hard case.
    It protected my 17in from many scratches and possibly dents.

5. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

I've got a Speck case on my 15"

I take it off now and again to clean the inside of the case, between it and the MBP. After a while it starts to accrue some crud...

6. Column macrumors newbie

Column

Yeah, watch out for the clear cases...all that dust and junk ends up in the case and looks terrible. I got a black Speck, and you can't tell its filthy inside.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Those cases look ugly and your really don't need them unless you are very clumsy or want to resell it soon. All you need is some sleeve and your are fine.
    Those things don't scratch all that easy. I used it outside in the garden a lot on tables with all kinds of rubbish on them. Little stones won't scratch it. You need something hard or sufficient force.
    Mine has only one tiny dent most people would never notice and no scratch on anything but the foot stands ;). The dent is from a knife 64 HRC is very hard.

Really I use it a lot outdoors and carry it around on the campus and everywhere and it is fine as long as you look out for it. I am not a clumsy person and never dropped it but from any normal wear and tear outdoors it doesn't get any signs of usage. It is not like some item that you use a lot and it eventually gets more and more scratched like a plastic case. It doesn't unless you mistreat it seriously. The annodized Alluminium or whatever it is is plenty hard to withstand quite a lot. There is not need for films or hard cases unless you drop it or to other bad things to it and want to keep it in mint condition for the rest of its life.

8. hooneyrob macrumors member

You've been very lucky then.. The little bits of whatever that get underneath the laptop on tables etc cause scratches when you move the machine around - i.e. shift it so you're comfortable. This is my 3rd MacBook, the other two both had hairline scratches underneath the machine. They scratch very easily in my opinion..

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

There are so many threads on this but I'll try to synthesize them succinctly... Like every other issue possible, mac users are on both ends of the spectrum. Some love their cases and have a need for them, and some hate cases and do not need them.

Personally, I like my case because it's an added layer of protection, and I think it compliments the aluminum of the case (I have a 17" with a Speck Black Satin shell).

However, I can see the point of people saying it makes it thicker and clumsier, because it certainly does. I think the MBP looks much nicer without a case on it. I've never seen any difference in temps besides when I am running under heavy load (CPU temp >80 degrees C). And, if you need to run heavy loads like this with it on your lap, then having a shell in between you legs and the scorching metal heatsink that is the computer (it can become like a giant heatsink if you run it hard enough) works nicely.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u hav 3 macbooks? lol

11. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

Be careful with some of the cases. I don't have one on my MPB 15 because I was told by a "Genius" at the Apple Store they can cause the hinges on the screen to start acting up over time. I had a Speck clear case in my hand and didn't buy it because of his statement.

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i dont think so.

if it affected the macbook, they wouldnt be selling it

13. Jrv macrumors regular

I've got a black satin speck case.

The complaints come from people who don't remove, clean, and regularly manage their laptops.

I've got to say, the black satin looks sexy as hell.

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

clear version is sexy as hell LOL

Attached Files:

15. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

16. Akack macrumors 6502a

+1 on the clear Speck case. Protects my MBP from minor scratches while not hiding the esthetics of the alumn.