Should I get a iMac or PC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by c.amartin128, Sep 9, 2015.

1. c.amartin128 macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm considering getting the iMac 21.5 4GHz Processor 500 GB storage for $1,099 with an Apple Pro. I'll mainly use it for editing videos on either After Effects or Movie Cut Pro, Photoshop, OBS, and other applications that's for videos editing and digital drawing. Do you think the iMac I'v chosen will have enough power to use the applications?

I know there's other iMac that are much powerful then the one I'm choosing but that's pretty much the iMac I can afford. A friend of mine recommend me to get a PC instead which is much more powerful and I can get it half the amount of an iMac. I do understand that PCs are superior to Mac depending on what components you put in your PC, but I'v always preferred the Mac for its simplicity. I thought maybe instead I should get the iMac now and later on get a PC for gaming. I currently have a Macbook air i use for work. It works fine but lately it has ben a bit buggy and the memory is getting full for some odd reason. Anyway, I'm not sure that the iMac I'm choosing with the Apple Pro will handle the applications I need to use for work. I'm pretty sure it will but I just wanted to make sure that my money isn't going to waste. What are your recommendation? Thank you for your time in reading my post.

P.S I was a bit nervous writing this post so my writing might be a bit of.

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Asking this question in this forum will give you biased answers if any. Macs are a different world from PCs. There is a lot more than the specs you should consider. From my point of view, it looks ok what you want to buy.

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The base $1099 model is a bad buy in my opinion. Its processor and GPU are from a MacBook Air. You'd do better buying a Macbook Air, since at least it would be portable. If you really want an iMac, the $1299 model is the bare minimum.

$1099 will get you a fairly high end PC, with a high end GPU like a Desktop gtx 970. The problem with the PC of course is if you don't already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. If you need to buy a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, then the PC comes out less effective to keep within your budget.

I think your best bet is to spring for the $1299 model. Also, what's an "Apple Pro" ?

4. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

I think he is referring to the mac pro

5. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I think is more like Apple Care maybe? A Mac Pro is out of context.

6. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

yeah thats sounds about right lol

7. mlody macrumors 6502a

If you can't afford a iMac with at least fusion drive, I would move on and get Windows PC box for far less money. That $1099 system that you are looking at will overall perform worse than your current macbook air (assuming you have a 2010 or newer model with SSD or flash storage).

Apple should be really ashamed for selling that $1099 iMac model - to put this into an iPhone perspective, it would be like selling iPhone 4S with 8GB storage for $549 in today market - that is how crappy that iMac is in my personal opinion.

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

9. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Just noticed your avatar. Forza Juve! :D

10. fathergll macrumors 6502a

When even Apple fans say to go to the PC in this scenario it tells you something.