Should I get a iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TC400, May 14, 2011.

1. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

For getting my G.E.D ( a high school diploma equivalent for those of you who don't know.) My mom and dad said they would give me $250 towards a new iPad 2!
    I like playing with the iPad when I get the chance. But I don't know anyone who actually HAS one lol.
    So for those of you who are owners of either the original iPad or the iPad 2 do you like it? Do you or did you have any buyers remorse?
    I also hear the cameras on the new iPad 2 aren't very good.
    Should I wait for the 3rd gen?
    I know a lot of you are going to say it depends on your needs and stuff. But I would like to get one to browse the internet and play games when I don't feel like bringing out the laptop or going downstairs to be on my iMac. And to use it for Skype and email.
    And FYI I have to get it in white XD
    I'm also thinking about a smart cover too. A red leatherette one. Any comments on those either?
    I'm also thinking about the 30 pin to HDMI so I can mirror the iPad 2 and my 4th gen touch. Thanks!!!!! :apple:

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

I own both generations of iPad but if your preference is
    Then you're only going to want the iPad 2 and I don't have to say much about the first gen if all youre concerned about is color.

If you can wait, I would if i was you. I'm not sure if the 3rd iPad will be offered in white but it will obviously be better.

3. Annerz macrumors regular

You should probably wait especially since you already have a laptop and iMAC. i got the iPad 2 and I don't use it anywhere near as much as I should. I'm usually on my macbook or iPhone. but if you can't wait go for it! It is pretty cool.

4. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

5. Antfer macrumors member

If I were you I would get a iPad 2
    And use the hell out of it.

6. skittlescat macrumors member

iPad 2

I would get an iPad 2. I have the red cover but you could save some money and get the cheaper poly. No real difference. Get at least 32gb or the 64 gb wifi 3G

7. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Bought the ipad and sold my laptop, it does everything I need.

Still if you have to actually ask then maybe you should spend a few hours doing some research.

8. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

No one can answer this question for you, but I'll quickly share our experience…

We have all manner of Macs and other iOS devices, but only recently have we bought an iPad. Buyer's remorse? No way. The whole family is clambering to use it. The large screen makes it a much nicer experience for web browsing and games over the iPhone and iPod Touch. The only real advantage to those is the extra portability, but when you're at home, I can't think of a single reason I'd want to use the smaller screen anymore.

It's just a fun, fun device. But it really all depends on the apps you have. I knew we would get an iPad eventually, so I had already purchased a lot of apps, especially when they were on special, so right out of the box we had an iPad 2 with a lot of great apps.

9. Janet1 macrumors member

I bought both the iPad 1 and then the iPad 2 when it came out.

I haven't noticed much improvement with the iPad 2. The camera isn't very good, and I think it's the same camera that's used in the iPod touch, which is pretty lousy. My cell phone takes better pictures.

I haven't noticed much, if any, improvement in speed either, dispite the fact that the iPad 2 is supposed to have a better processor. I personally don't have any interest in facetime, which is the only other real enhancement made for the 2nd generation.

I only bought the new model so I could give my first gen. to my mom. She's retired and couldn't afford the monthly expense of home internet, so she had to go to public wifi "hotspots" to go on-line. My iPad 1 is a 3G model, the data plan is only $15/month, and gives her cheap home internet. For her especially, the iPad is wonderful. No buyer's remorse here.

But otherwise, I probably would have just stuck with my iPad 1, and they're so much cheaper now, that I don't really see any true benefit in buying an iPad 2 instead.

If you absolutely must have an iPad in white and a smart cover, then you'll need to buy an iPad 2, because smart covers don't fit the iPad 1 and it wasn't produced in white.

The smart covers also don't offer any cushioning and I've noticed that it seems a lot more people are breaking their screens when they drop, and screen damage isn't covered under warranty, and very expensive to have repaired. The original covers provided some cushioning, and did seem to protect the screens better from breakage. So you may wish to take that into consideration as well.

10. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

I was actually thinking about one of those but my mom said it would just be better to get the 2nd gen.

We shall see!
    Thanks for the reply!

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'd still go with a 1st gen, iPad... Typed from mine!

I didn't think there was enough of an improvement to upgrade my purchase... Maybe on the 3rd gen

12. brettatk, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

brettatk macrumors regular

If you get a refurbished iPad 1 then when the iPad 3 comes out you'll almost have to upgrade. Chances are the iPad 3 will not be that different than the iPad 2 so if you get an iPad 2 now, you probably won't feel like you have to upgrade when it's released.

13. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Or just buy a conventional cover for your iPad 2? They still do those you know.... :)

Only time will tell whether it's worth the upgrade. I suspect there will be more demanding apps that will require iPad 2, but by the time these come out iPad 3 could be on the scene.

For my money you're better off getting the iPad 2 if you don't already own an iPad 1. If you have an iPad 1 then I'd keep it for the time being.

So to the OP; get an iPad 2, they’re lighter, thinner and substantially faster. People who only own the iPad 1 will tell you it's not worth the extra money but it is.

14. LDTaylor85 macrumors member

I use my iPad 2 every day. I have a high end android phone and a pc, so do I need the iPad?,nope, but it's nice as hell. I think it's ok to splurge sometimes. If you want it, get it!. But let it be your own decision.

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Unless you're gonna be heavily gaming, I'd go with the 1st gen! You might be able to pick one up pretty cheap!

16. Smug Boy macrumors member

Get the iPad 2 and don't look back until you upgrade to an iPad 3!