Should I get a iPhone or a video camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacsBestFriend, Oct 10, 2008.

1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

well, I start high school next year and on Tuesday I am getting an Aluminum Macbook. When the holidays toll around, I am planning to ask my mom for an iPhone or a video camera. My question to you is: should I get the iPhone? I am mainly speaking to those in the 18 and under group. Besides the cool factor, the only advantages I really see with it is that the teachers at school may let me use it for research instead of borrowing a school laptop :)apple: contract with the district). I am starting a vLogging Youtube channel and I also was wondering if the iPhone has video now. If not, I will probably get a nice camera and if I do, what do you recommend?:confused:

This all brings me to my final question: is it worth the iPhone with the huge bill? My mom currently pays 40 a month with verizon and my dad pays for my phone. If my mom also got a iPhone do you think between us we could split a base contract and not drive her crazy (Family plan at $130/mo)?

The iPhone just looks awesome!
    [​IMG]

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

To the OP that carries "Location: with your mom", I suggest to save the money and buy something from ToysRUs instead.

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I was thinking if your down 'with your mom' I'd also recommend maybe saving the $ for a deposit on your on own apartment or maybe paying off the 20' rims on your `87 Honda

4. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

i knew that i was asking for it when i said that. i changed it. you happy??? you just made a kid cry!:p

5. maxxscholten macrumors regular

In 8th grade, do you really have the freedom of traveling to wherever your mood takes you? :p

Personally, I'd go with the video camera - cheaper, and you'll have fun with it. There's no need for you to have a phone like the iPhone when you haven't entered high school yet. It'll get stolen, no doubt about it - or something else will happen. At my high school if your phone was taken up by a teacher it was $15 to get it back (which was donated to a local charity/food bank). Think how much I might have given to that charity if I had an iPhone back then! :D

6. mazarebacha macrumors newbie

you better get an video camera! though its really useful..

7. fr33 loader macrumors regular

Send all that money to Africa where people are dying in starvation.:D

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I suggest that you wait until you move out of the house, (which sounds like that'll be near your 35th birthday), quit being a burden on your mother and father, and stay in school...:p (I'm kidding of course; do whatever YOU want, b/c your parents will do your bidding, or else you'll scream and flop around on the ground 'til they place a 3G 16GB iPhone in your hands.).:D

9. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

damn, lay off the kid. If you can convince your mom to get the iphone, get that, you will use that thing way more than you would ever use the video camera.

10. m98evolution macrumors newbie

Get whatever will help you to add value to the world. In other words, which one would help you to be more productive. I would say go with the iPhone but if you aspire to work in the film industry or something get the camera. Good luck!

11. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I when i was in the 8th there were countless people i knew who lost their cellphones, got them stolen, or broke them. You should only buy the iphone when you feel you are responsible enough to take care of it (maybe start with a cheap phone and use it for about a year). If all goes well you should get the iphone.

12. Rigsby macrumors regular

Ummmm. Yeah. You want us to help with your letter to Santa?

Best advice I could give is to decide yourself, life is all about priorities. You need to work out which you need and go for that.

13. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I'm a senior in High School got my iPhone over the summer it's not really worth having it as a Freshman/Sophomore you really can't do anything because you are still treated as a kid and your parents for the most part still control your life. As you get older the iPhone is nice to keep dates of important stuff with you especially with the papers and big assignments. There are only 3 people that own iPhone's in my school all are seniors. I also guarantee the teachers will not let you use the iPhone in class for research. Just go for the camera for now and ask for the iPhone in a few years.

Even then a High School student does not need an iPhone. My main reason in getting one was so that I didn't have to carry an iPod around as well there are other reasons though.

My feelings on getting an iPhone is if you can pay for it (not your parents) then get it. If not wait till you have a job and can pay for it that's what I did. But really as a Freshman it is really hard to get a job unless you have the right connections even then it's hard to get one and really not worth it. You are just starting High School it's the time to enjoy things have fun because it really is some of the best years of your life no matter how tough school gets.

So if you want to spend your nights working while all your friends are out enjoying the football games/School Dances/Other really fun school events/hanging out having loads of fun and you are at work then go for it.

14. alFR macrumors 68020

Depends: if you want to make phone calls, I'd get the iPhone. If you want to make videos, get the camera. :)

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Best advice so far in this thread.

What is it with people and picking on a kid they've never met before? Sure he could be doing better things with his parents' money, but really all of you could be doing better things with your time rather than posting on an Apple rumors site. Maybe you all need to do a little growing up.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm a freshman. I have the iPhone. but then again its not the 3G, and I got it for free, so yeah... and I also had a razr in 7th grade, my brother's old Nokia N91 in 8th grade..and this now in 9th grade :D

17. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

wow lay off the kid. I'm 17 and have an iphone and i love it. However i would like a video camera now too, but in no way would i give up my iphone for it. I use the phone everyday and the camera maybe 1 a month. So go for the phone!

18. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^ LOL. but if you don't need a GREAT quality camera..you can jailbreak the phone and use Cycorder. it actually isn't good in ANY way, but its better than having nothing right?

20. shokosugi macrumors newbie

just get the iPhone, and maybe you can get a part-time job to help your dad pay your phone bill.

21. Limb macrumors member

Just remember, it's a $500 device in your pocket. High school is notorious for stealing. Not to mention in general just playing rough. Phone will most likely be stolen or broken, and there is no insurance plan (with the exception of Square Trade).

Lets just say out of my cousin and her friends who are all around your age... I have yet to see one of them without a broken iPhone. And don't think "Oh I'll take good care of it, I won't break it" is an excuse to not break it. I had my <2 month old phone thrown across a parking lot because I was responding to a Fire Department call and forgot the phone was in my lap, which resulted in it getting a few scratches on the back case (lucky me).

All in all, there is no benefit to having an iPhone if your in high school. It serves no purpose other then to maybe to keep track of your homework. But if you feel there is specific reason's to go for it, then do it. I'm just warning you that it's a lot more responsibility then you may think.

-Limb

22. The Governor macrumors regular

I don't think the video quality is that bad... a lag wen filming things in motion and obviously not usefully in the dark, but all in all not bad.

23. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Im jewish, lol!
    Something I have found out today: you guys on the iPhone forums sure are crabby at times! Im going back to the macbook forums where we are actually nice to each other, lol! and to those that helped, thank you!

24. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I haven't had any expensive electronic device of mine break in HS yet. If he's smart and doesn't leave it sitting around it won't get stolen put it in your pocket not your backpack. There is just as much a benefit of having it in high school as anywhere else.

25. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Thanks! I think the two of you have been best at giving me your thoughts and that is muchly appreciated! I think now that some of you are right and I should hold off on getting an iPhone. My parents probably won't be able to now and I will probably put the money towards a Airsoft rifle or an iPod Touch. It would have been too hard anyways because my parents are divorced and my mom would go bolistic on my dad who currently pays for my phone. Thanks!:eek:

Now comes the convincing for my Aluminum MacBook: my dad is starting to have second thoughts!:eek: