Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I know some will say both but if you had to decide between the two which would it be ?

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Agreed w/ bpeeps. Other than the iOS and similar design aesthetics they're not really comparable.

To answer, though, I'd say get an iPhone 6S+ only because it'll give you the medium between larger device, and mobility of a phone.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
They are completely different devices suited for different needs. The question is what is your need?

You wouldn't get an iPhone primarily for video or web usage and you wouldn't buy an iPad to make phone calls or use as a music player.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Well obviously I want it so I can use apps. Though what I mainly will use it for is calls, movies, tv shows, and photo editing.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
These two items are in no way comparable, but I would say iPhone.

Agreed w/ bpeeps. Other than the iOS and similar design aesthetics they're not really comparable.

To answer, though, I'd say get an iPhone 6S+ only because it'll give you the medium between larger device, and mobility of a phone.

They are completely different devices suited for different needs. The question is what is your need?

You wouldn't get an iPhone primarily for video or web usage and you wouldn't buy an iPad to make phone calls or use as a music player.

Thanks.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Well obviously I want it so I can use apps. Though what I mainly will use it for is calls, movies, tv shows, and photo editing.

Then I would have to say an iPhone 6S+ like someone else mentioned.

For the most part you would be much better suited with an iPad based on your wants/needs, but you can't easily make phone calls on it. It is possible, I suppose... just not smart. The 6S+ should be good for music/calls and tolerable for everything else.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB

Watching TV, movies, and photo editing = iPad

Making phone calls = phone

What's more important to you? That's the only thing that matters. I've got both, but I've got multiple devices that I can do the first three things on. I've only got one device that I can carry in my pocket virtually every waking hour, no matter what I'm doing, and can use for making phone calls. So for me, the phone is a higher priority.

If it was the other way around (like I had another phone around, or felt I could get by with a cheap flip phone, and I didn't have my laptop), then the iPad would be a higher priority.

C

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well considering how difficult actual calling can be with an iPad, I would say iPhone. It's more versatile and easy to have on you at all times. You mentioned a lot of media-heavy things so make sure you at least get a 64GB model. Photo editing will be more fluid on the 6S due to having more RAM but there are limited apps that let you edit. But that is also true for the iPad. I use Lightroom Mobile on both but they require using a desktop along with it to import RAW files which are then synced wirelessly to your device through Adobe Creative Cloud—I've got about 30,000 photos synced to mine. If you just want to edit photos taken on your device, then it can import those on device without issue and the editing is actually pretty decent for non-RAW files. It's also great at organizing. But there's also a monthly subscription. However there are also lots of other great photo editing apps out there if you don't need cloud syncing of massive RAW files. Furthermore, if you want to work with photos on your device then the 6S will give you a much better camera experience than an iPad and you're more likely to always have it on you. If you are really going to watch a lot of movies and TV shows then a Plus model would probably be best. As someone with slightly above average sized hands, I have found my 6 Plus to be pretty annoying over time and will be going back down in size to the 6S size tomorrow. So that part is really up to personal preference. A lot of people love the Plus. But if you need to decide between the price of device storage and display size, I'd definitely go for more storage unless you plan on constantly streaming media. As you can see there are lots of answers depending on your use case!

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Also, keep in mind that an iPad with LTE will burn through your cellular data like there is no tomorrow if you aren't careful. This isn't usually an issue unless you choose to watch videos on it on LTE but I managed to burn through about 6GB of data one evening when my internet was out. It burnt through it a lot faster than my iPhone did.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I agree with others who said the Phone would work best for you (since you want to make calls.)

I just went the opposite route, ditched the iPad 6 for an iPad mini 4 and a flip phone. The carriers bs and price gouging is what really pushed me away. I know my wallet will be very happy going forward.

But in the OP's case, the phone would be the better bet.

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
The two are comparable in a way. But different in so many other ways. It's simple. If it's mostly data you want it for, such as watching YouTube, surfing the web and comsuming media (video)....get the iPad. The iPad battery is outstanding. And the screen size is just perfect (IMO)..

The iPhone is in a class of its own. It's great for Phone calls. Good for on the fly media consumption. But the battery doesn't last that long compared to iPad. It all depends on what your main uses are.

Don't be afraid to get both. They work great together.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
99.99% of people need to own both. They are complimentary devices that work seamlessly together. I'd start with the iPhone and then buy into an iPad as soon as you can afford it.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

That basically answers it for you, unless you're happy to stick with FaceTime Audio.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Even if calls on the cellular network weren't important, there are things that the iPhone can do that an iPad can't. If size is an issue, you can deal with that by going for a Plus model if your budget allows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.