Should I get a Mac Mini, iPhone or iPad 2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dixie8123, Jul 30, 2011.

1. dixie8123 macrumors member

Okay, I am trying to decide on what device I should get. For starters, I am 14, and have a MacBook Pro 13 Inch 2010, iPad 1 Wi-Fi 16GB and some crappy samsung phone (intensity) that reminds me of a social network addict and has the tendency to shut off randomly.

Okay, here are my options:

iPhone 4: 16GB, Black, Verizon, $649
    iPad 2: 16GB Wi-Fi+3G, Black, Verizon or AT&T, $629
    Mac Mini: Low or Mid, $599 or $799

Please help me choose which one you think I should get!

Thanks,
    Dixie

2. shyam09, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

hmm, so let me get this straight:
    you have a Macbook Pro 13" 2010, iPad 1, and Samsung Intensity.

ok . now to be quite frank, what i would suggest you to do, is Save the Money!
    You honestly do not need any of those things, well the iPhone [as that phone you have is Crappy :p] is rather tempting, but honestly, no i wouldn't go for the iPhone either.

Of course, it is understandable that these are all wants and not needs...i was in the same boat a couple of months ago :), after Apple released the iPad2, the iPad 1's were on extreme discounts so i was quite tempted to buy one. In the end, I got into a little argument with my dad, and in the end I decided not to buy it. Today, im actually happy i saved those $400...

But as a dedicated MacRumors member, I shall help you out in the decision making process :p
    Im inclined towards the iPhone, just because it does everything you possibly need to do [with your existing tech].
    1. it gets rid of that crappy thing you call a phone :rolleyes:
    2. you get internet, apps, etc.
    3. it's an iPhone, everyone loves an iPhone

of course this is assuming you have that data plan and your parents pay for the phone's monthly charges.
    the iPad 2 is quite nice, but i really dont see it's use when you have an iPad 1 with you. Im assuming though, that if you were to get the iPad 2, you would sell or give your no.1 away.. despite that, i would not go for the iPad 2 just because i cannot see the use for it :D
    The mac mini does seem nice, but with a MBP, you honestly do not need it..

Now to repeat myself once and for all :)
    Don't go about buying and satisfying your wants, who knows when your needs will start to kick in :)

Hope I help,
    Shyam09

3. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

thank you so much! If anything, I will choose the iPhone! But still, if i do good on my report card this semester, my mom said she will buy me the iPhone... so that is is a good idea to save the $$!

4. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

* Your MacBookPro should last you through high school.

* iPad is not worth upgrading to the iPad2... Main difference would be the camera, but I don't think mom would like you taking it to school/the mall since it might get ripped off.

* If your phone isn't working correctly, have you taken it to the store to see if they'll fix it/replace it?
    If you can wait until ATT or Verizon let's you upgrade your phone, the iPhone 5 should be available. If your mom is willing to buy a $650 phone she might pay for the $200 upgrade and give you the $450 to put in a savings account-- so you can start saving to buy a car in 2-3 years!

Here's the computer we used in school when I was 14: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET
    My computer in college: http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

@macking104 and OP
    yes i agree with macking104. while i was writing, i had the idea of saving until the upgrade, but then i forgot:p
    yes, if your mind, heart, soul, etc are set for the iPhone, wait until your plan contract finishes, then buy the iPhone [you will be saving so much more money :p]

Also, look into Google Android Phones, they are rather cool, and im sure a few MR folks will agree that some do have their advantages over the iphone. Like maybe one of the Droid phones :)

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-things-android-phones-do-better-than-the-iphone/1131

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Why would any educated person buy an iPhone 4 right now when the iPhone 5 will be here in little more than a month?

7. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

i would save up the $ and then get the newest iphone out if i got a iphone

8. MasterBoss macrumors newbie

MasterBoss

At 14, if I were you I'd buy a refurbished/discounted iPhone