should i get a mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dsr1205, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

iv wanted a mac for a while and planned on getting a laptop one but the dektop migth suit my needs more, im looking for speed and vista gaming performance, i know can do better on a custom built vista pc but it wont be a mac so im wondering if the baswline 2500ish with a 8800 gt card is good for gaming? counterstrike source and wacraft 3, maybe supreme commander.

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i bet a high-end imac would work fine for you. macpros are $$$ esp if you are just wanting it for gaming.

3. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i got a nice 24inc monitor alredy and i would like upgradability for the future

4. inVINCEcible2k3 macrumors newbie

i bought my first mac being a MBP decked out and i totally love it.

if you have the cash , go for a MBP

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple doesn't market the Mac Pro as upgradeable but expandable rather.

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Go for it and get lots of extra (third party) RAM.

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

When I was originally looking at Macs (late last year), I briefly considered getting a high end iMac - 24" with the works...but if you're spending that kind of money ($2250), you may as well get the quad-core Mac Pro for $2299 (or spend an extra $500 for the octo-beast :))

Plus with my NAPP discount, the 8 core cost me a little over $2550, I think.

This is my first Mac, and it certainly won't be the last - hopefully I won't have to ever buy windows again though....

-Bryan

8. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yeah if you can go for a MBP with the monitor you already have that would be awesome. then you have a plus with portability.

9. kingkezz macrumors regular

10. jonmitz macrumors newbie

you dont need an 8800 for those games, except supreme commander, which you listed as a maybe... so go with an imac.

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Yea but think of the future. Get the Mac Pro with the 8800

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't understand why people act like owning a Mac Pro puts you in some sort of exclusive club. If the guy wants a lot of power and already has a 24" monitor (and doesn't need a dual monitor setup), it doesn't really make sense for him to get an iMac.

Go for the big boy, dude.

13. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I don't know what the big deal is either - I'm not making money with this computer, I just wanted something that's gonna last a long time, and that I can add hard drives. Apple's only available option currently is the Mac Pro, and I had the extra cash so I got it.

Get the 4 or 8 core, you can't go wrong with either one.

-Bryan

14. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Go a head get it.... you won;t regret it... tons of power and if you can use both Leopard and XP/Vista.

15. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Go for the Mac Pro if you've got the money, you'll be a lot more future proofed with games. Especially since we've seen Apple's recent reaction to graphics upgradeability.

Get 64-bit vista on Boot Camp, works seamlessly (or has for me at least) and I'm playing Warcraft, COD4, CSS etc.

16. mosttoysrk macrumors newbie

I just purchased and setup a refurb 2.8 octo MacPro (2399.00). I thought about a 24" imac but decided the extra bucks would be well spent. I have zero regrets on spending the extra $$ on the pro. The design of the pro is so well thought out, this especially reinforced after I added a 2nd harddrive and additional memory. It took just a few minutes with absolutely zero problems. I would do it again in a second...get the pro I guarantee you will still be thinking about it if you go another route.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i say get the mac pro. you'll love those 8 cores!

18. giantrobot macrumors member

I dont know if 2008 is a good year for a big investment in a Mac Pro. A major overhaul is expected in 2009 with the introduction of Nehalem (sp?) processors. I recommend you read up on it but its a complete change in chip architecture and the speed gain will be massive. You probably will not need that much power if you are not running pro apps but no one can blame you for wanting that engine under your hood.

Still a year is a pretty long time in computer years so dont know if you can wait. I have a 2007 Mac Pro 2.66 quad and it is a complete beast from a CPU standpoint. With the new 8800, I really feel it is a perfect computer and have no regrets on not getting the penyrn or the octocore. If you have never had a mac before, the build quality is superb and OSX is light years beyond anything in windows. I had major issues with upgradability but it looks like Apple has come around on that end as well..though you will not be able to upgrade to Nehalem from the current processors.