Should I get a Macbook Pro 13'' Retina now or wait for 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtsang777, Dec 14, 2015.

?

Should I get a Macbook Pro Retina 13'' now or next year?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2015.
  1. Yes buy it now.

46.4%
  2. No, Wait.

53.6%
  1. jtsang777 macrumors member

I am going to college next year and I don't know if I should get a Macbook Pro 13'' Retina now or wait for next year? What do you think?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you need one now, buy one now. If you can wait then you should wait.

3. ajay96 macrumors 6502

I got the 13" Retina 2 1/2 weeks ago. Go for it if you need one, it's great.

4. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Tbh im waiting until the 2016 macbook pros release. But thats because the current ones will probably get a price drop

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you don't need it now wait. It's that simple.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why buy one now when you don't need it. Given that everyone is expecting an update, maybe even a new case for the MBP, it makes sense to wait,

7. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

The original poster's just going to have to decide whether he wants it badly enough now to buy now. :)

2016 Macbook Pro 13" is still going to be dual core, even if you get the biggest i7, and it's still going to be Intel graphics, no matter what, because of the kind of work for which it was designed.

I just dumped by five year old, heavily used 2010 MacBook Pro 15" with dedicated graphics for the 2015 MacBook Pro 13", and I haven't looked back.

The biggest difference is the advance from SSD to PCI-E flash drives, and I don't think the 2016 13" is going to be any faster there than the 2015 13" is right now.

Primarily, the decision we have to make is whether we need four-core processing and dedicated graphics, more than anything else. I definitely do not need that, so the 13" MacBook Pro was a good choice for me.

I found myself thinking momentarily about the iPad Pro + Keyboard, and the 12" MacBook, but in the end I think that the 13" MacBook Pro 2015 is just perfect for me right now. I find myself even using my iPad Air 2 so much less now, that I'm thinking of selling that, too. :)

I can't think of a solid reason to wait until 2016 if you want one now, especially with some good deals in the Refurb Store right now.

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

9. PTLove macrumors 6502

The only large performance improvement will be in 3d Gaming, however it should be noted its still going to be bad at gaming.

If you dont care about a potential redesign, and you dont care about 3d Gaming performance, there is no reason to wait.

10. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Wait for next year to get a update version with better performance.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have two thoughts on this, one, is that why pay a premium for technology that is going to be replaced, i.e., best value for your money.

Secondly is buyers remorse when the new machines come out, i.e., the OP kicking himself for not waiting.

Perhaps these are not true problems for the OP, but for me, that's what generally drives my purchases, i.e., value of my money and ensuring that I'll be completely happy with it.

12. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Get it when you start college, unless you need one right now and can't wait. There are good deals on them right now actually, and the current version is only ~6 months old and has force touch so its fairly up to date.