Should I get a Macbook Pro case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtthwcmn1, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I am getting the base 15" model and was wondering if I needed a case. They also have trackpad protectors, screen protectors, keyboard protectors. What protection do you use for your macbook pro?

2. zaxdude macrumors 6502

If you had searched, you would have found probably at least 15 different threads on this very topic...many of which have been posted on in the past few days alone.

LOOK HERE!!!!!!

Within this thread, you'll find many links to other threads about cases. All of your answers can be found in those.

3. Hpye macrumors 6502

No you shouldn't get the hard cover shell that covers your Mbp. It just destroy the image of ur computer and and looks ugly.. Apple try so hard to make a very beautiful laptop. Just get the bag the can carry ur laptop..

And just get the keyboard protector to protect from oil from your hand

4. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Ehm. There are many stylish cases out there that keeps the beauty of the MBP.
    Also, there is nothing wrong with wanting to protect your MBP. In fact, I would advice everyone to do this. It keeps it from getting scratches, using screen-protectors keeps the screen from grease, all of these helps you to still have a beautiful MBP after 3 years+. I've used mine from 2009 without a case and it's quite scratchy now. And I'm a very careful person.

Keyboard protectors are awesome not only because it protects it from oil from your hands but also helps prevent the keys from becoming worn-down aswell as helps prevent - at least somewhat - in the case of spilling something on the keyboard(obviously, if you pour a glass of water on it, it will still probably leak through - I'm talking if you accidently spill some sauce or a drop of water or something).

5. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Keyboard protectors are IMPOSSIBLE to type on. I have an orange hard case for my 13 inch mbp. Looks cool and even has legs to give a good angle for typing -- $20 on ebay.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

my apple laptop goes nude- just a sleeve for it for when it is in my bag

7. Wattser93 macrumors regular

And I've been using mine since 2010 and there isn't a single scratch on the screen or the case. I'm also a very careful person. Mine has been across the country and goes with me to school every day and gets used multiple times a day, and it's still in perfect condition.

The MBP is durable as long as you don't drag bracelets or watches along the case, drag it across tables, etc... I don't let my watch drag on the case (proper typing technique dictates that you don't rest your wrists anyways) and it's still perfect. I have OCD tendencies, but it's not too hard to keep a MBP in good condition for a couple years.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

a case is a must if ura student

9. aCondor macrumors 6502

Yes, if you want protection.
    No, if you want none.

/thread

10. Aznskill2k macrumors newbie

Been without a case for a year and no scratches. I do have the incase sleeve for when i put it in bag. Would def recommend that if you don't have a case.

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Keyboard protectors aren't necessarily impossible to type on... They just feel weird... ;)

12. Wattser93 macrumors regular

That's the exact setup I use. It's either in a sleeve or in a laptop pocket in my backpack. It never comes in contact with anything loose, just protective material.

No case since I bought it and it's still in great shape. The plastic cases for the MBP make it feel "cheap" to me. I like the feel of the aluminum.

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

not at all

14. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

The only protection I use is an Incase sleeve for my 15" MBP.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

It is a MUST or you will regret big time later! I bought Speck See Thru hard case from Amazon for 17 bucks.

16. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

I've had my MBP since 2008 and the only protection I have is a sleeve which stays in my laptop bag. I have a few scratches on the bottom cover (which can be easily replaced), but I rarely look at the bottom anyway. Otherwise, just clean the surfaces every so often and it'll look like new.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nothing. Your call to make whether you use a case, protector, etc. It's a matter of preference.

There's nothing wrong with it but I'd advise (advise is a verb, advice is a noun) everyone to make the call for his/her self. I'm just going to deal with whatever scratches my MBP happens to collect. It's character.

18. SmoothJ macrumors member

I would - even though my work 2008 MBP only had minor issues (it didn't have a case) but I regretted it after a few years.