Should I get a Macbook Pro for College?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, May 24, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

Hey guys, going to be starting out as a Freshman at an University.
    Just wondering if I should get a Macbook Pro for college when back to school promotion starts. But according to MacRumors guide or whatever, the update is midway and could be updating soon within the next 90+ days or so.
    I'm willing to wait all the way up to when I start college. (Beginning of Sept)

Going to be majoring in Software Engineer and Computer Engineering, so I'm going to need some power in my computer to run stuff.

I also heard that there's gonna be a new design for Macbook and I don't feel like buying one if there going to go update it.

So what you guys think?
    Or should I buy like a cheap PC Laptop to fulfill my needs for the meantime then wait till the new Macbook Pro comes out then buy it, or what?

Thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely not within the next 90 days. More like 9 months. I wouldn't play the waiting game, you never actually catch up

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The Macbook Pro likely won't be updated until next year. I'd recommend buying during the back to school promotion.

4. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks guys.
    I'll take that into consideration. Hmm... 9 months...

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

6. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

talk to your department. talk to your advisor. talk to current students. your department secretary can put you in touch with people, and most faculty are easily accesible via email. they can give you the most accurate advice.

don't wait for the mbp. the next revision is pretty far away. i wouldn't be surprised if the air and macbook get updated soon. but, those may not fit your needs.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's really not worth the wait. It may get redesigned, it may not, but in the meantime, you need a computer, so it's best to buy now. Playing the waiting game with technology is always a losing game, regardless of what you buy, there will always be something newer right around the corner.

9. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, of course I'm not going to wait that long. I just might consider sticking with PC for the mean time until the next update. Cause Macbooks Pro are quite expensive. (Price wise)

10. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Yes, buy one now! They will run anything you need for your major. I just graduated with a major in Computer Science and my MBP did everything I needed it to do and more.

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Around here, I see students with a lot of white plastic Macbooks and some older MBPs. Depending, a brand new MBP might attract too much attention in the dorm. No question that an MBP will serve you well as a CS major in most schools.