Should I Get a Macbook Pro????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by austinlallen, Oct 26, 2011.

1. austinlallen macrumors member

Hello

I have owned an iMac 27" Core i3 and loved it way more my older PC.

I am looking in to a new computer and to my budget, I will either get a Macbook Pro 15" i5 OR spend that money on a custom pc with a core i7 with SSDs and all that sorta stuff. My experience with windows was horrible but that was a pentium 4, but if i get a powerful i7, will it preform very well

Should I get a Macbook Pro or Custom Build a Dream PC??

Thanks for replies

2. warvanov macrumors 6502a

MacBook Pro. But if you expected members of this forum to answer otherwise then you're insane. This isn't CustomBuiltDreamPCRumors.com, after all.

3. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm just wondering if people own a pc and macbook pro it will help me out what the problem???

4. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Sure, but they're still two very different things. It's like asking a Hell's Angel if you should buy a Harley or a Honda Civic.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Unequal comparison. Any notebook is going to look very different from a custom built desktop. Better to compare the custom PC to an iMac or Mac Mini and see how they shape up.

I use a MacBook Pro for my personal stuff and a Windows (Lenovo) desktop and notebook at work. The 4+ year old MacBook Pro runs rings around the Lenovos and they are 2 and 1 years old, respectively.

If you want portability, the MacBook Pro is the way to go. If you want a fixed system, consider a MacMini or iMac. If you really have to have a Windows machine, then buy whatever type you need.

6. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

ppl keep asking these questions.

The real question is not for us, but yourself.

What do you intend to use the computer for?

we simply can't decide that for you.

If you have portability needs, then obviously, a laptop. On the other hand, if you don't ever need to take your computing mobile, build a dream PC.

Simple as that.

7. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

If you want the following things get a Macbook Pro:

-Reliability
    -Great Customer Service
    -OS X
    -The Cool Factor
    -Amazing Screen

If you want these things, get another (cheaper) high-quality Windows:

-Better features for a cheaper price
    -Windows functionality (because lets be real, running both Windows and OS X on a Mac just isn't the same)

For me its a no-brainer having experienced so many Windows (and PC company aka the worst customer service ever at Sony) horror stories. Still its a personal choice! I prefer OS X, the computer's reliability, wonderful customer service and the amazing screen and I'm willing to spend more to get it.

8. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Depends on the company.

This is what you should be focused on. If you think you want to run OSX on a notebook, then you have your answer. Simple.

Meaningless. I don't buy computers to look cool, and if you do then your priorities are way out of whack.

There are Windows laptops out there with screens that are just as good or better.

I have 3 Lenovo T-series laptops, a current 2011 13.3" MBP, a homebuilt Core i7 Win7 desktop, and a 2009 Mac Mini and they're all great machines. Nothing wrong with recommending one over the other but at least be realistic about it.

9. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

If some people want a Mac simply for the Mac name, whats the problem? Theres a reason why companies like Dolce & Gabbana can sell a logo T-Shirt for $150. Brand is important in modern society, so just because it isn't important to YOU, doesn't mean its not important to others.

I've never found another computer company with as excellent customer service as Apple. I'm not saying all other companies are bad, I'm saying if you want AMAZING customer service then its Apple. Theres a reason they are one of the most profitable companies in the world, and it has to do with customer service and a "cool" product.

What laptop computer screen are you referring to exactly that has better quality?

I think my answer was completely fair.

10. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

There are no i5 15" MBP's anymore - the base model is a 2.2 GHz i7 quad core with hyperthreading. Not sure what you are going to run on it, but a 2.2 quad i7 Sandy Bridge is a very powerful CPU. Unless you have pretty specialized application needs, I doubt you will feel underpowered with that. Mac OS X will fly on that machine, especially with 8 GB of RAM (buy it aftermarket - much cheaper than Apple's RAM prices).

11. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I love my 13 pro. Before this i had also had a 13 air, and the pro just is a lot more powerful... go 13 pro

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

This question really depends on what you want the computer for. A MacBook Pro and a windows beast desktop are very different things. If you're gaming or doing very heavy work, then the PC might be a better bet, especially for gaming. If it's just for casual use, then I'd suggest the MBP. No monster amount of GHz or cores or SSDs will make everyday use a better experience (although the SSD will open Firefox faster)

13. IllIllIll, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

I don't disagree. But unlike clothing, if the reason you're buying a notebook COMPUTER is to "look cool" without any other consideration for what you're actually going to use the COMPUTER for, then your priorities ARE out of whack. It's like buying a red car just because it's red without any consideration for whether the car is a sedan, coupe, truck, minivan, etc. - foolish. And I have just as much right to point, laugh, and ridicule people who place more importance in how others see them than how they see themselves.

Well, let's start by what you mean by "better quality"? Resolution? GPU chipset? Build quality? Color accuracy? If you can be more specific I'd be happy to come up with some examples. One glaring generalization I can already make is that no MBP utilizes an IPS display, so what exactly is it about the MBP screen that you consider so much better than any others out there?

Nobody said your answer was unfair. It just wasn't helpful in answering the OP's question, IMO. Granted, the OP could have qualified his question with a few more details, so it's not all your fault.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Just build a dream PC for fun and learning.

15. Imaroxstar macrumors newbie

I have a high end i7 pc that I use at my office for video editing, photoshop, as well as other general computing items (word, excel, etc...), and I also have a macbook pro 13 at home. i need a new computer and was in the same line of thought as you.

Here is what I have decided - PC's are more familiar to me, however, I much prefer the experience i get from my mac. You can look high and low, and you will never find a laptop as powerful, sleek, and practical as a MBP - at ANY price. There is just not one on the market.

I have decided to buy the 15 inch with high res screen. This will perform any task (except gaming) as well as any PC rig that you would configure - not to mention that you could use your MBP while sitting on the couch, or down by the pool. That is my 2 cents

16. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

(Only read first couple posts)

Your main decision is

Great hardware at high price, along with great free software and warrenty, etc.

or

Insane hardware at high price with non-free software, that would perform less due to the OS.

Either one is a great option, it's all about service and compatibility at that point.

17. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

18. bls8195 macrumors newbie

I just changed over from the MBP 17 inch from last year, and just bought a new 15 inch i7 and love it and the speed. I would now take a MAC of any kind over a PC but thats just myself.

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Speed, memory, processor, hdd, ssd - doesn't matter with Windows. It's not a hardware problem, but a programing problems - too much legacy BS in windows.

Stick with the MAC.

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Oh come on.
    All you need to do to keep Windows 7 running as quickly as on the first day is to keep the autostart clean. win+R -> msconfig
    It is not that difficult but so many idiots install all kinds of BS software that wants to autostart. And stupid magazine keep telling the people that emptying caches makes anything faster.

Windows 7 runs fast and it also runs faster than OSX. OSX has a great GUI but it is from a technical perspective not an objective opinion to regard it as the faster OS anymore.

If you care about performance a custom desktop build is very fast when you add gaming performance into the mix the Mac Platform is no competition.
    A 2500k with a decent aircooling runs 4 GHz overclock. Can only be beaten by multisockel board which again don't cost the world. You just need a huge case to stuff it in.
    iMacs run mobile GPUs. Desktop GPUs are both faster and they are really easy to replace. After 2 years to switch them for a new upper midrange GPU and you play top graphic engines at high detail again.

That is the kind of answer you can expect in a Mac forum. Needless to say it is utter nonsense.

The truth is building a custom PC (some shops even assemble them for a small fee) is not very difficult. Keep Windows 7 running fast and quick doesn't require any more work than on OSX. Just keep Autostart free of BS. I have seen so many fools that install every little crap they find and never use. Naturally it will be slow as crap especially on these old Notebooks. You just clean autostart. That stuff can stay stored on the hard drive as dead data but it won't affect performance.
    Legacy support slows nothing down. That is just some myth.
    Truth is Windows has some of the most advanced schedulers of all OS. The definitely most advanced memory management and the usability is not so bad either anymore.

But if all you need is a media PC. For some videos, little browser games, office work. Just get a Mac Mini and some display or get a Notebook. If you don't need the power just get that small box and a box for NAS data storage and you are well prepared.

If you want gaming. Nothing beats a custom build + a decent monitor 24-27". It is faster you can pay for the best quality, best performance and it is real easy to upgrade.
    For many of OSX gui features there are little Tools that enable the same functionality in Windows. Just ask in a Windows forum.

Really ask yourself what is the functionality and speed you want.
    Windows 7 + custom build is like buying the iMac that comes out in 2 years now in terms of speed.
    If you want a mighty mouse, this touchpad or some other OSX functionality get a Mac.

I have a 15" MBP(which I like very much) and some experience with custom building PCs. Don't trust the Mac fanboys they just know one side and have little to no clue about the other.

21. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

lol

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

why not a new iMac? You obviously don't need mobility, otherwise the custom build PC wouldn't be an option.

For the price of a 15'' MBP, you can get:
    - larger sceen
    - faster CPU
    - faster graphics
    - more storage
    - better upgrade options (e.g. 16 GB ram)

a custom build PC will be even more powerful probably, but then you have to put up with windows :(